CICISBEO

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

CICISBEO

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:04 pm

• cicisbeo •

Pronunciation: chee-chiz-bay-o • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. (Obsolete but still fun) A knotted, decorative ribbon attached to the handle of a sword, walking cane, umbrella, fan, etc. 2. A cavalier servant of a married woman, a dangler about married women, a man who professionally accompanies married women or unprofessionally pursues them.

Notes: My recent blog on the glut of pejorative names for female lovers in the absence of such for men resulted in a surprising response. Ed Garvin suggested that we do have a pejorative word specifically for a male lover (aside from gigolo, which I conceded), so I made it today's Good Word. It is a word that has refused for ages to surrender its Italian plural cicisbei, pronounced [chee-cheez-bay-ee].

In Play: Even though I don't think this rarely used word damages my argument that we have more negative words for female than for male lovers, it is curious enough that I though we would all enjoy it: "Armin, I saw that cicisbeo Phil Anders parked in front of your house while you were away in Mexico last week!" And we all thought Phil was a professional cicisbeo who only accompanied married women for their protection and with their husbands' consent.

Word History: This word is such an esoteric one etymologists have paid it no attention. The pronunciation of CI as [chee] gives it away as an Italian word, maybe borrowed from French chiche beau "cute chickpea". The other hypothesis is that it came from a word in the Venetian dialect cici "women's chatter", but that would leave us with an inexplicable SBEO. I prefer the first one since beau is associated with boyfriends in some languages outside French. However, the long and short of it is, no one really knows. (Let's thank Ed Garvin for coming up with this curious old word and hope he didn't learn it from experience.)
Last edited by Dr. Goodword on Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: CHICHISBEO

Postby Stargzer » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:59 pm

...(Let's thank Ed Garvin for coming up with this curious old word and hope he didn't learn it from experience.)
Or let us at least hope for his sake that he was the cicisbeo!

:wink:
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: CICISBEO

Postby Perry Lassiter » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:57 pm

I post in order to support Slava and return this word to the top in light of a similar recent discussion.
pl

Return to “Good Word Discussion”