Drawl

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Drawl

Postby Stargzer » Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:40 pm

No, a drawl is not a sketching tool for etchers.

"She had a Southern Drawl that was just dripping with Dixie."

Drawls run the gamut of the light drawls from Southern Maryland and the Eastern Shore, getting progressively heavier as one heads South through Virginia and the Carolinas into Georgia and Florida and West through West Virginia, Kentucky, and Tennessee, down to the deep drawls of the Deep South in Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, and Louisiana, and over to Texas.

Wikipedia also has an entry for drawl, which points to articles on Southern American English and Australian English.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000.

drawl

PRONUNCIATION: drôl

VERB: Inflected forms: drawled, drawl·ing, drawls

INTRANSITIVE VERB: To speak with lengthened or drawn-out vowels.

TRANSITIVE VERB: To utter with lengthened or drawn-out vowels: “We-e-ell,” the clerk drawled.

NOUN: The speech or manner of speaking of one who drawls: a Southern drawl.

ETYMOLOGY: Probably from Low German drauelen, to loiter, delay.

OTHER FORMS: drawl'er —NOUN

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by the Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:20 pm

Surprising we haven't seen this one cross our bows as yet. Now that we seem to have a new crop of Southerners, perhaps it's time.

By the by, if your happy elf speaks with a drawl while making shoes, is that a droll drawling elf with an awl?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

beck123
Lexiterian

Postby beck123 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:45 am

Why're y'all misspellin' "awl?" I change mahn ev'ry 6000 mahls, an' the can says "oil."
Beck

"I don't know whether ignorance or apathy is worse, and, frankly, I don't care." - Anonymous

beck123
Lexiterian

Postby beck123 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:47 am

There are a zillion posts dealing with Southern-ese and Northern-ese in the "Rebel-Yankee" section of the forum for all y'all drawlers.
Beck

"I don't know whether ignorance or apathy is worse, and, frankly, I don't care." - Anonymous

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:18 pm

Saparris has a residence there: but he's under 3-4 inches
of snow today, and it has slowed him down.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”