onomasiological

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Apoclima
Senior Lexiterian

onomasiological

Postby Apoclima » Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:48 am

on·o·mas·i·ol·o·gy

noun
1. branch of semantics: the branch of linguistics that studies how meaning is expressed

2. See onomastics n.1

[Early 20th century. Coined from Greek onomasia “name” + -logy.]
onomasiology

What a handy word!

Apo
'Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination.' -Max Planck

Apoclima
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Apoclima » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:39 am

Algo de santo en el nombre
un día para celebrar su onomástico, o en otras palabras, el día de su santo.
Does this happen to you?

You learn a new word (or really get to know an old word) and then the darn thing is everywhere, and you wonder how you ever got along without (really) knowing it!

Apo
'Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination.' -Max Planck

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:28 am

Por esta razón, la Iglesia decidió ejercer su autoridad, y en el siglo X, estableció el proceso de canonización para identificar y nombrar a aquellos que merezcan ser llamados "santos".
La primera vez que vi esta frase, me sonó un poco rara la forma como fue utilizado el verbo merecer en presente de subjuntivo, yo habría elegido el imperfecto: merecieran o mereciesen, que estaría en el mismo nivel temporal (o como se le llama en gramática: consecutio temporum) que la forma estableció, en el indefinido. Sin embargo, no me parece errónea la forma merezcan si hay el deseo de poner en relieve el hecho de que todos los santos que surjan (en este momento o en el futuro) tendrán el aval de la Iglesia para que reciban esa denominación, pero aun así me suena mejor la primera forma. Maybe it's just me.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

Apoclima
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Apoclima » Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:00 am

My instincts of Spanish are certainly not nearly as good as yours, BD, but I think that if I translated this into English, like the "musulman" example. The present sounds more definite, and ongoing, where the imperfect subjunctive carries a bit more distance. Although I think either gets the idea across.

established the process that determines who merits....

established the process that determines who may merit....

established the process that determines who would merit..

(Not meant as a translation)

I prefer the first sentense, then the last.

Apo

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:53 pm

The present sounds more definite, and ongoing, where the imperfect subjunctive carries a bit more distance.
That's what I said.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

Apoclima
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Apoclima » Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:39 pm

BD:
Sin embargo, no me parece errónea la forma merezcan si hay el deseo de poner en relieve el hecho de que todos los santos que surjan (en este momento o en el futuro) tendrán el aval de la Iglesia para que reciban esa denominación, pero aun así me suena mejor la primera forma.
By "la primera forma" you were refering to the imperfect subjunctive, which you prefer, but you do make it clear that both get across the idea.

OK?

I didn't mean to just repeat you. Just getting it clear in my mind!

Apo

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:33 pm

Okay, I don't speak or read Spanish, which means I don't understand the discussion of the previous posts. However, this really seems like a neat word. Let's face it, isn't the study of how we express ideas a major component of what we're doing on this board?

Onomasiology - it's time has come.

And who knows, maybe we can bring BD and Apo back to life?

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:40 pm

I stand to be corrected, but if BD is in Brazil that is
probably Portuguese, which I don't understand either.
But this is a beautiful word, which, when I first played
with it, got all twisted around in my mouth, but now
that I've mastered it, agree: that is what we do here.
We've got to keep this word on top of our sights!
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”