Fatiferous

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Grogie
Senior Lexiterian

Fatiferous

Postby Grogie » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:04 pm

Deadly or destructive. ''The hurricane turned out to be truly fatiferous.''

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:32 am

A rare word, if I do say so, but a good one. That which bears fate. Christopher is " he who do bring Christ," so fatiferous does not mean whole milk heavy cream french onion dip for your chips, "that what do bring fat." The "fat" here is related to "fatum," "fate." Is it too late to go on a word-play diet? I think I need to stop.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:23 pm

Christopher, Christ bearer.
Saint Christopher
The Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition | 2008 | The Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition. Copyright 2008 Columbia University Press. Saint Christopher [Gr.,=Christ bearer], 3d cent.?, martyr of Asia Minor. His characteristic legend is that one day when he was carrying a little child over a river, he felt the child's weight almost too great to bear. The child was Jesus, carrying the world in his hands. Hence St. Christopher is usually represented as a giant, with the Holy Child on his shoulder; he leans on a staff. He is the patron of travelers, hence the practice of wearing his medal on journeys. His name was dropped from the liturgical calendar in 1969. Feast: July 25.

Another version says the child was carrying the sins of
the world, hence the weight.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”