Vertiginous

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Vertiginous

Postby skinem » Mon May 04, 2009 3:38 pm

Figured this word had some history with height, etc...ran across this word describing a mountain road.
Interesting to me that the third definition here is the first in our 60 pound hardbound 2 foot thick 20 year old Webster's Dictionary that we have here at the house. Change in usage over time?

ver·tig·i·nous

Pronunciation: \(ˌ)vər-ˈti-jə-nəs\

Function: adjective

Etymology: Latin vertiginosus, from vertigin-, vertigo

Date: 1608

1 a: characterized by or suffering from vertigo or dizziness b: inclined to frequent and often pointless change : inconstant
2: causing or tending to cause dizziness <the vertiginous heights>
3: marked by turning : rotary <the vertiginous motion of the earth

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:13 am

Now that I've thought it over, I'd say Webster is correct here in listing 3 first. After all, the others are what come from the effect of 3.

Truth be told, I always thought of vertiginous as being high, but now that I understand the word better, via its roots (isn't etymology wonderful?), I see I was wrong.

Now, about those measurements; a 2-foot thick dictionary? Are you trying for "dictionary" envy here?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:12 am

vertiginous
1608, "of the nature of vertigo," from Fr. vertigineux, from L. vertiginosus "suffering from dizziness," from vertigo (see vertigo).
vertigo
1528, from L. vertigo "dizziness," originally "a whirling or spinning movement," from vertere "to turn" (see versus).
The mountain roads around here (particularly in Pisgah Forest) are very vertiginous, without that much climbing involved.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:29 pm

Perry you are right...people back in the Pacific Northwest who have never been in the Southeast ask me about the mountains down here...
I tell them that they aren't very high, but they are every bit as up and down as they are there!

Slava, no dictionary envy here...it's my wife's dictionary! Maybe two feet may be an exaggeration, slightly, but the 60 pounds may be light...

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:23 pm

That relatively new attration owned by some Indian
(NativeAmerican)tribe: a semi-circular ramp overlooking
the Grand Canyon into the river valley far below, would
certainly cause some vertigo in some; as would
skyscrapers with top floors built a short way out over the
street on the top floor, so persons can see the street
below.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”