Tralatitious

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Grogie
Senior Lexiterian

Tralatitious

Postby Grogie » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:31 pm

Handed down from generation to generation. ''Many cultural traditions around the world are tralatitious.''

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:28 pm

This one's a toughie. It rambles a bit in what I've come up with, so bear with me for a fun ride.

Handed down, as we've been told. Here's a nice quote on one usage: Among biblical critics a tralatitious interpretation is one received by expositor from expositor. --W. Withington.

So, I had to look up expositor next. Fine, one who gives an exposition; I should have known that one. But part of the etymology given goes thusly: LL expositor exegete (L: one who exposes a child).

"Exposes a child" made me think. I now understand that it means "to expose a child to the teachings that have gone before."

Then I had to look up exegete. Surprise! It's one who is skilled in exegesis. Surprise, surprise! Exegesis is "critical explanation or interpretation of a text or portion of a text, esp. of the Bible." Which brings us full circle.

At least with that meaning. Tralatitious can also mean metaphorical, if you accept that the first syllable can be equally replaced with "trans." I'd prefer seeing more work done on that one before I swallow it hook-line-and-sinker.

I don't know where he finds them, but Grogie does keep us on our toes from time to time.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”