Polychrest

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Grogie
Senior Lexiterian

Polychrest

Postby Grogie » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:10 pm

A medicine that has many uses. Also, a medicine that cures many diseases. ''Over the centuries, chicken soup has been a polychrest for many conditions and diseases.''

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:24 pm

At the rate new uses keep coming up, we may have to rename aspirin to polychrest. It seems to suit just about every need, except for stomach upset, which it may cause. Oops.

Nice word, Grogie. It also made me think of Harry Potter and the polyjuice potion, but that's because I'm weird.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Grogie
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Grogie » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm

Slava, Thanks, again, for your kindness.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:37 pm

I wonder if "chrest" is where Crest toothpaste got its name? I can't seem to find any definition of "chrest" that would show it to be the second half of "polychrest."
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:17 am

I can't seem to find any definition of "chrest" that would show it to be the second half of "polychrest."
Useful.

"Greek khrēstomatheia : khrēstos, useful (from khrēsthai, to use; see gher-2 in Indo-European roots) + -matheia, body of learning (from manthanein, math-, to learn; see mendh- in Indo-European roots)."
dictionary.com

Was that useful?
Last edited by Slava on Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:04 am

Only if one reads Greek ... :)
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:33 pm

I just found a new one, at least to me. It appears Omega-3 fatty acids are good for just about everything, too.

Now, what's the difference between a polychrest and a panacea?

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:13 am

I'm not sure what the difference between those two is, but speaking of cure-alls, you'll also find a link at the bottom to a MIDI file that plays the melody for the lyrics. (You'll have to hit Replay for each verse and chorus, but I think it's much better to read along with the tune. Oh, yeah: "poteen" is pronounce pō-chēn' or pə-chēn' all the times I've heard it.)

That bottle of House of Lords from Edradour sitting over by the sink keeps calling me ... I've already drained the Jameson.
Regards//Larry

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”