Asterism

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Asterism

Postby sluggo » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:15 am

This came up in examination of Beck's Septentrional (a post containing a whole cornucopia of good word suggestions but I'll leave that to him)...

Asterism- (n)

1. Printing Three asterisks in a triangular formation used to call attention to a following passage.
2. Astronomy A cluster of stars smaller than a constellation.
3. Mineralogy A six-rayed starlike figure optically produced in some crystal structures by reflected or transmitted light.

(freedictionary)
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Wed May 05, 2010 7:19 pm

I like the example of a #1 asterism I just saw. Two on top, one below, in between the top two. A starry eyed emoticon, with a kiss. Too bad our Agora software doesn't let us do it.

It looks a bit ape-ish as it comes out here, but move the lower asterisk over a bit in your mind, and you'll get the picture.

Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sat May 08, 2010 2:05 pm

How's this for a closer approximation?

Code: Select all

* * * * or * *
"You have to understand how a starship operates."
-- Capt. Kirk, Star Trek II: The Wrathe of Khan"

My guess is that in classical printing it's a single piece of type, equivalent to a single character in computer word processing.

AHA! HERE 'tis! ...
It's really small ( ⁂ ) unless you use the Font Size tag to enlarge the character. A 29 is the largest number accepted for the font size.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat May 08, 2010 2:39 pm

How's this for a closer approximation?

Code: Select all

* * * * or * *
"You have to understand how a starship operates."
-- Capt. Kirk, Star Trek II: The Wrathe of Khan"

My guess is that in classical printing it's a single piece of type, equivalent to a single character in computer word processing.

AHA! HERE 'tis! ...
It's really small ( ⁂ ) unless you use the Font Size tag to enlarge the character. A 29 is the largest number accepted for the font size.
Interesting, thanks for finding it. Too bad I've never figured out how to use Unicode.

By the way, is that a take-off on the original Star Trek II?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”