MERISM

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
tcward
Wordmaster

MERISM

Postby tcward » Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:20 pm

Merism
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

In rhetoric, a merism is a figure of speech by which a single thing is referred to by a conventional phrase that enumerates several of its parts, or which lists several synonyms for the same thing.

Merisms are conspicuous features of Biblical poetry. For example, in Genesis 1:1, when God creates the heavens and the earth (KJV), the two parts combine to indicate that God created the whole universe. Similarly, in Psalm 139, the psalmist declares that God knows my downsitting and mine uprising; indicating that God knows all that he does.

Merisms also figure in a number of familiar English expressions. When we mean to say that someone searched thoroughly, everywhere, we often say that someone searched high and low. The phrase lock, stock, and barrel originally referred to the parts of a gun, by counting off several of its more conspicuous parts; we use it to refer to the whole of anything that has constituent parts.
merism Image
"synecdoche in which totality is expressed by contrasting parts" (e.g. high and low, young and old), 1894, from Mod.L. merismus, from Gk. merismos "dividing, partition," from merizein "to divide," from meros "part."
-Tim

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:29 pm

Similarly, in Psalm 139, the psalmist declares that God knows my downsitting and mine uprising; indicating that God knows all that he does.
Sounds a lot like Santa Claus: He knows when you've been sleeping, he knows if you're awake.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”