Brinkmanship

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Brinkmanship

Postby Slava » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:49 pm

I just came across this one in a BBC article on North Korea. I always thought it was "brinksmanship," but it turns out I was wrong. The "s" is parasitic.

Though usually used in speaking of foreign policy, it can also be quite effective in the job world. A well-played bit of brinkmanship just might get you that raise or promotion. Just make sure it's well-played. Or at least be ready to take the leap and act upon your declarations. If you don't, you'll never make it.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:19 pm

I think it was the Merriam-Webster Dictionary that dates this word from 1956, so it's definitely a Cold War word.

I seem to recall an old issue of Mad magazine illustrating various terms with pictues. "Brinkmanship" was illustrated by a famous picture of Jayne Mansfield in a low-cut dress that she was in danger of falling out of.

:shock: :twisted: :D
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”