Trope

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Trope

Postby Perry » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:48 pm

trope
Pronunciation: 'trOp
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin tropus, from Greek tropos turn, way, manner, style, trope, from trepein to turn
1 a : a word or expression used in a figurative sense : FIGURE OF SPEECH b : a common or overused theme or device : CLICHE <the usual horror movie tropes>
2 : a phrase or verse added as an embellishment or interpolation to the sung parts of the Mass in the Middle Ages
Much on my mind as I learn the trope that goes with my Torah chanting for the High Holidays.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:47 pm

You learn something new every day, at least you should.

I have always pronounced this one as tro-pee. Come to find out it's all of one syllable.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:41 pm

You learn something new every day, at least you should.

I have always pronounced this one as tro-pee. Come to find out it's all of one syllable.
Well in French that would be "too much pee" (spelled differently, though). Stick to one syllable.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:49 pm

Oui, oui, monsieur.

Just call me Paderewski.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”