Chutzpah/hutzpah

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Cacasenno
Lexiterian

Chutzpah/hutzpah

Postby Cacasenno » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:42 am

chutzpah

n. (Yiddish) nerve, gall, audacity, guts, boldness; self-confidence, courage, spunk
©Babylon English Dictionary

Example: while being condemned for killing his parents,
the defendant's plea for extenuating circumstances being an orphan.

Run up against it trying to understand the German word 'chuzpe'

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:16 pm

I recently had an opportunity to use this wonderful word.

I live in a historic area of my city, and just last year the brick road my building fronts on was refurbished. Sadly, the GPS systems in many massive 18-wheelers have decided that the shortest route to the NY State thruway is along this small, arced, brick road.

In commenting on this to a neighbor, I said I wished I had the chutzpah to go out and stand in front of them and make them back up and go away.

Grr.

I suppose many other gutsy words would fit here, too, but that was the one I chose. Not as erudite as testicular fortitude, but rather less crude than cojones, don't you think?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:58 am

Standing in front of an 18-wheeler? Chutzpah isn't the word! Try meshuge or perhaps mishegas! Then again, it probably takes a lot of chutpah to be that meshuge!

What says Perry?
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:24 pm

Standing in front of an 18-wheeler? Chutzpah isn't the word! Try meshuge or perhaps mishegas! Then again, it probably takes a lot of chutpah to be that meshuge!

What says Perry?
The truck wouldn't be moving. They have to stop while the poor GPS-misguided driver figures out how to make the turn and curve. It's not quite like standing in front of a tank on Tienanmen Square.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:51 pm

Perry says that standing in front of the 18 wheeler is balls or intestinal fortitude. Chuztpah is more like cheek or gall.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”