opportunity

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

opportunity

Postby Bailey » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:11 pm

op·por·tu·ni·ty (pr-tn-t, -ty-)
n. pl. op·por·tu·ni·ties
a. A favorable or advantageous circumstance or combination of circumstances.
b. A favorable or suitable occasion or time.
2. A chance for progress or advancement.
Synonyms: opportunity, occasion, opening, chance, break
These nouns refer to a favorable or advantageous circumstance or combination of circumstances. Opportunity is an auspicious state of affairs or a suitable time: "If you prepare yourself . . . you will be able to grasp opportunity for broader experience when it appears" Eleanor Roosevelt.
Occasion suggests the proper time for action: an auspicious occasion; an occasion for celebration.
An opening is an opportunity affording a good possibility of success: waited patiently for her opening, then exposed the report's inconsistency.
Chance often implies an opportunity that arises through luck or accident: a chance for us to chat; no chance of losing.
A break is an often sudden piece of luck, especially good luck: got his first big break in Hollywood.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
p·por·tu·ni·ty /ˌɒpərˈtunɪti, -ˈtyu-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[op-er-too-ni-tee, -tyoo-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun, plural -ties. 1. an appropriate or favorable time or occasion: Their meeting afforded an opportunity to exchange views.
2. a situation or condition favorable for attainment of a goal.
3. a good position, chance, or prospect, as for advancement or success.

[Origin: 1350–1400; ME opportunite < MF < L opportūnitās convenience, fitness, equiv. to opportūn(us) (see opportune) + -itās- -ity]
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.
mark it-knocks-softly-listen-close Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:48 pm

Here's an opportunity to re-up an old suggestion. However, it seems to be weak in the "In Play" concept. Can anyone come up with some fun little quip using this word?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:34 pm

Not off hand; only a story about a piano tuner ...
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:06 pm

Not off hand; only a story about a piano tuner ...
Oh, you tease! I get the "tune" bit, I hope, but I'm not getting anywhere with the rest of the idea.

Can anyone help me here?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:17 pm

Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:29 pm

Ouch.

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:49 pm

Probably the worst piano jokes I have ever read!
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:46 pm

I kind of liked the flat minor and flat major.

And another oppuntunity opens itself up:
Fishermen's Quartet: Tuna, Second Tuna, Lead, Bass. They'll sing for a fin, but mostly they sing for the halibut.
Ba-dum-ching
Regards//Larry

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:10 pm

:lol:
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”