salient

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

salient

Postby Bailey » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:12 pm

sa·li·ent (sl-nt, slynt)
adj.
1. Projecting or jutting beyond a line or surface; protruding.
2. Strikingly conspicuous; prominent. See Synonyms at noticeable.
3. Springing; jumping: salient tree toads.
n.
1. A military position that projects into the position of the enemy.
2. A projecting angle or part.

[Latin salins, salient-, present participle of salre, to leap; see sel- in Indo-European roots.]

sali·ent·ly adv.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin
mark jutting-out-from-the-herd Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:46 pm

I do need to use the dictionary more often, even for words I know. I don't always know them as they should be known.

I've always thought a salient point was a "good point" in a discussion or debate. I was wrong:
1562, "leaping," a heraldic term, from L. salientem (nom. saliens ), prp. of salire "to leap," from PIE base *sel- "to jump" (cf. Gk. hallesthai "to leap," M.Ir. saltraim "I trample," and probably Skt. ucchalati "rises quickly"). The meaning "pointing outward" (preserved in military usage) is from 1687; that of "prominent, striking" first recorded 1840, from salient point (1672), which refers to the heart of an embryo, which seems to leap, and translates L. punctum saliens, going back to Aristotle's writings. Hence, the "starting point" of anything.
Previously suggested by KatyBr here, but has not as yet leapt into our alphaDictionary.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”