Yard

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
scw1217
Lexiterian

Yard

Postby scw1217 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:28 pm

My mother said to me today, "Only Americans have 'yards' everywhere else it is a garden" (as in "go out in the yard") I don't know that to be strictly true, but because of her comment I had to look up the word. Interestingly enough, "yard" and "garden" come from the same word.
"ground around a house," O.E. geard "enclosure, garden, court, house, yard," from P.Gmc. *garda (cf. O.N. garðr "enclosure, garden, yard;" O.Fris. garda , Du. gaard , O.H.G. garto , Ger. Garten "garden;" Goth. gards "house," garda "stall"), from PIE *gharto- , from base *gher- "to grasp, enclose" (cf. O.E. gyrdan "to gird," Skt. ghra- "house," Alb. garth "hedge," L. hortus "garden," Phrygian -gordum "town," Gk. khortos "pasture," O.Ir. gort "field," Bret. garz "enclosure, garden," and second element in L. cohors "enclosure, yard, company of soldiers, multitude"). Lith. gardas "pen, enclosure," O.C.S. gradu "town, city," and Rus. gorod, -grad "town, city" belong to this group, but linguists dispute whether they are independent developments or borrowings from Gmc. Yard sale is attested by 1976. M.E. yerd "yard-land" (mid-15c.) was a measure of about 30 acres. Yardbird "convict" is 1956, from the notion of prison yards; earlier it meant "basic trainee" (World War II armed forces slang).
The definition
yard
–noun
1. the ground that immediately adjoins or surrounds a house, public building, or other structure.
2. an enclosed area outdoors, often paved and surrounded by or adjacent to a building; court.
3. an outdoor enclosure designed for the exercise of students, inmates, etc.: a prison yard.
4. an outdoor space surrounded by a group of buildings, as on a college campus.
5. a pen or other enclosure for livestock.
6. an enclosure within which any work or business is carried on (often used in combination): navy yard; a brickyard.
7. an outside area used for storage, assembly, or the like.
8. Railroads . a system of parallel tracks, crossovers, switches, etc., where cars are switched and made up into trains and where cars, locomotives, and other rolling stock are kept when not in use or when awaiting repairs.
9. a piece of ground set aside for cultivation; garden; field.
10. the winter pasture or browsing ground of moose and deer.
11. the Yard, British . Scotland Yard ( def. 2 ) .
Suzanne D. Williams, Author
http://www.feelgoodromance.com

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:26 pm

Funny. As regards yards and gardens around houses, I never thought of the two as synonymous. I would have thought that one might have a garden in the yard.

Live and learn.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

scw1217
Lexiterian

Postby scw1217 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:25 pm

That's what I thought too!
Suzanne D. Williams, Author
http://www.feelgoodromance.com

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:05 pm

Speaking of living and learning, I just found out that 3 feet don't always make a yard.

Turns out the two words look the same, but have different etymologies.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:17 pm

That's what I thought too!
Me too!
I never hear anyone refer to their "yard" as a "garden".
The Garden is where vegetables are growing and forever
in need of weeding.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:35 am

Speaking of living and learning, I just found out that 3 feet don't always make a yard.

Turns out the two words look the same, but have different etymologies.

That reminds me of the Geographical Postulate of Wrongs, Rights, and Lefts:
"Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do."
and its Moral Corollary:
" ... Consider that two wrongs never make a right, but that three do. ... " "Deteriorata" by the National Lampoon

Full text
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”