Pernicious

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:45 pm

Slava, thanks for digging up the first post, done by the site admin rather than the doc. I looked for this on p 50 of the Goodword Discussion, but came up with the one I posted. I like this better because that would mean the site began on my favorite holiday, and I was celebrationg that evening in one fashion or another just a yr and two days after my heart attack. Said site also began with considerable humor if somewhat esoteric.
Ah, so you celebrate my young friend Masha's birthday? She turned 11 this year.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:37 pm

Is she also a groundhog, or merely a GHophile like me?
pl

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:04 pm

Well, aren't most kids groundhogs at this age? This one's a Russian, though, so I can't really comment.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:51 am

Thanks for the research, slava. Interesting to see.
It seems sites have been around forever, but 2005 is not
so long ago.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

DavidLJ
Junior Lexiterian

Re: Flagitious

Postby DavidLJ » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:19 pm

Flagitious may very well describe the late Saddam Hussein. In the interest of pushing my American friends just a wee tad in the direction of balance, however, let me remind them that the only "weapons of mass destruction" found in Iraq were the helicopters and "agricultural chemicals" supplied to him by the Pentagon.

These were used illegally -- poison gas is a war crime -- in the war with Iran: Donald Rumsfeld had hailed Saddam as our ally out of pique at the Ayatollah. They were also used to kill several thousand Iraqis who had risen up against Saddam: our weapons used against our allies.

Flagitious is as flagitious does.

-dlj.

misterdoe
Senior Lexiterian

Re: Flagitious

Postby misterdoe » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:28 am

These (helicopters and "agricultural chemicals") were used illegally... to kill several thousand Iraqis who had risen up against Saddam -dlj.
One of the problems was that Saddam didn't see them as "his people": sure they were from Iraq, but they were Kurds. To Saddam, they weren't "us," they were "them." Saddam's successors weren't much different in that regard, if less barbarous, thus some of the ongoing problems over there.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Pernicious

Postby Perry Lassiter » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:02 pm

It is also coming to light that our troops found a considerable number of buried chem weapons, still toxic enough to make them sick. For some reason the administration chose to hush it up. Now the Atlantic and NYT are speaking thereof.
pl

Return to “Good Word Discussion”