Dash it All

You have words - now what do you do with them?
Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Dash it All

Postby Slava » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:28 pm

The New York Times has a rather nice piece on the use of the dash. You can read it here: http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/20 ... lobal-home
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Dash it All

Postby Perry Lassiter » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:58 pm

Enjoyed the article, though only his last examples illustrated my most frequent use of the dash--in place of a colon. Obviously, the ipad doesn't make the emdash conversion, and that's all right. Because I usually hit a space, an endash, and another space. Since the author repeatedly says there are no roles, i'm ok here. Indeed were there a strict emdash form, I would delight in breaking it!
pl

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:47 pm

In Microsoft Word, I sometimes key in a dash - and it gives me a dash. At other times it gives me what seems to be an em dash and I do not want an em dash.

Even though Microsoft seems to be ahead of its competitor, with Microsoft Word one still has problems in just getting what one wants on a page. It assumes too much. Word’s ubiquitous grammar police fill my pages with little squiggly green lines. I have to bounce over to the Internet to get the spelling of the many word that Microsoft Word doesn’t have.

I am tormented by Microsoft, and I dare not go to a MAC. I bought an iPad, what a stupid name, and whoever invented it must have been from another planet because I can never get it to do what I want it to do. I have turned the iPad over to my wife who plays games on it. Do you suppose the Apple products are so squirrelly because of the stupid names they give them or vice-versa? If you like Apple products, just write me off as an intransigent, truculent, curmudgeonly engineer, long into his dotage.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:28 pm

I'm convinced ALL programs and apps should have more places to change defaults permanently. You can turn off spell check, grammar check, and autocorrect, but there are many other things you have to change every time or just deal with them. I do like this new spell thing on ipad where if you have a typo, you can put yr finger on the word and it usually suggests the correction to make it easier. I love the ipad and do most of my computer stuff on it, as I am now. I do my serious writing on the laptop because of the keyboard, and Word is better than an ipad sub.
pl

Return to “Grammar”