evangelical, ecumenical

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
William Hupy
Senior Lexiterian

evangelical, ecumenical

Postby William Hupy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:23 pm

Here is an untapped well - words relating to religion, or should not drink from this source for fear of offending someone? Depending on usage these two are capable of being contranyms. It appears the Greeks gave us these words.
William A. Hupy

William Hupy
Senior Lexiterian

Re: evangelical, ecumenical

Postby William Hupy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:24 pm

I meant to say "... or should WE not..."
William A. Hupy

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:26 pm

The words contradict one another only in some situations.
As popularly used, evangelical refers to those groups and denominations that focus on personal religious experience more so than main-line Christianity, whatever that is. In reality, the theology is pretty much the same. I have read a commentary on Romans by an excellent Catholic scholar which read at times as though written by Billy Graham.

Ecumenical simply means across denominational lines in some form of unity. Beginning in the 60's there was a strong movement for Ecumenicity. As I recall, the National Council of Churches promoted a comity agreement, which meant that denominations would not begin a new church in the same area of town as an existing church.

In response to this, Evangelicals developed their own ecumenical organizations with more conservative theology and more tolerance for local diversity.

On the local scene ministerial associations mix conservative, liberal, protestand, and Catholic quite well. They also cooperate in community services, such as Thanksgiving.
pl

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:49 pm

Religious words and ideas are fair game on this forum. Discussion should always be respectful with no ranting or raving.

I remember a discussion of the word tabernacle that was quite enlightening to me. Those of us who know the Christian "jargon" may erroneously presuppose understanding from those who are not in on the "sacred" vocabulary. I believe I should respect everyone's right to a religion unless it is a danger to the public good. And we should always err on the side of tolerance. We shouldn't allow Voodoos to create zombies, but if they want to stick pins in wax dolls we shouldn't object. I suppose if no minors are allowed, venomous snake handling should be allowed. I think it might actually be illegal.

Going across denominational lines is commonplace now. John Michael Talbot, the famous Catholic singing monk, has been featured with our Baptist congregation's choir to an overflow audience. When I was a boy, Protestants did not go into a Catholic church and vice versa. Even then, one of my best friends was the Catholic Padre, Father Kenlough. I have mentioned before that non-Catholics are welcome and do attend Catholic spiritual retreats.

There is a simple, old song called "The Old Time Religion." It declares, "It makes a Methodist love a Baptist." Know this is an ever-widening sphere, and for me "It makes a Baptist love a Deist." One does not have to dilute one’s own religious beliefs to respect others.

As for the meanings of evangelical, ecumenical; Perry has it down pretty well.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”