dude

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
eberntson
Lexiterian

dude

Postby eberntson » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:47 pm

dude
Pronunciation: /d(j)uːd/

informal, chiefly North American
Translate dude | into German | into Spanish
Definition of dude
noun
a man; a guy (often as a form of address):
hey dude, what’s up?
if some dude smacked me, I’d smack him back
a stylish and confident person:
cool dudes
dated a dandy.
verb
[no object] (dude up)
dress up elaborately:
my brother was all duded up in silver and burgundy
Derivatives

dudish

adjective

Origin:
late 19th century (denoting a dandy): probably from German dialect Dude 'fool'

So this is very intriguing to me I don't think the definition is up to date, since on the west coast (USA) it is a common address. Is it slang if it is a common word for a whole generation of a region? I think the " dandy" definition is gone, well except for perhaps a dude ranch.
EBERNTSON
Fear less, hope more;
eat less, chew more;
whine less, breathe more;
talk less, say more,
and all good things will be yours.
--R. Burns

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: dude

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:57 pm

I grew up with the expression dude ranch, in which dude meant guests or amateurs, not necessarily foppish. In fact, a messy ranch and smelly horses might not appeal to socialites. Then the expression seemed to come from the west coast, like the Valley Girl lingo, but it stuck and still continues. Many slang expressions come and go, but this one seems to stick around, even after us old folks have strted using it.
pl

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:31 am

Recently I caught myself saying "guys" when I meant “people” or “y'all”. In the all-out war of getting regionalisms and accents to dominate, the south (as in The South) is winning. But occasionally a word or pronunciation creeps into my redneck lingo from foreign sources. The Valley Girls have been blamed a lot for this, and they should be ashamed.

As for dude, I haven't stooped so low as to address a colleague thusly. Although etymology is in doubt, dude seems first to have been applied to a person new to the west (cowboy land) and unaccustomed to the environment. It quickly and logically attached itself to a ranch dedicated to entertain outlanders with cowboy culture. The word was not pejorative but somewhat condescending. Then, in a trice, someone of the Valley Girl ilk switched it to a pleasant greeting. Are no words sacred? Can't we old curmudgeons keep some of our pejorative words? Perhaps the Valley Girls are responsible for global warming. They certainly do not warm the cockles of my old, cold heart.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

eberntson
Lexiterian

Postby eberntson » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:54 pm

Well, curmudgeonism is a noble state, but some sweet vapid Valley Girl should be able to warm your cold hearts cockles during this holiday season if you just let'er. Then you might alight to the level of old codger and some little lass might buy you a fuzzy-navel, or a red bull-&-vodka to redden you cheek for Christmas present. This is my seasons' greeting & wish... and to y'all a goodnight.
EBERNTSON
Fear less, hope more;
eat less, chew more;
talk less, say more,
--R. Burns

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:33 pm

Well, depending on the circumstances, I have used this term. I must admit, also, to using the feminine, dudette. It all depends on the people you're with, no?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

eberntson
Lexiterian

Postby eberntson » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:23 am

Context is everything, especially since I'm usually trying to be amusing, thus to deliver humor via words one must keep track of context and the current appropriate vocabulary. I had a afianced that maintained she really liked that she could take me anywhere; to a fire in the woods with drunken raft guidse, or to a university black tie affair and I could entertain both groups. I aim to please…. darn I will never be a cremudgeon a this rate.

E
EBERNTSON
Fear less, hope more;
eat less, chew more;
talk less, say more,
--R. Burns

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:02 pm

eberntson: I suppose all us innies have fuzzy-navels at times. One can get intoxicated practicing omphaloskepsis. The fuzzy-navel you are discussing must be the alcoholic kind. I had not heard of it but I Googled it. Since I am a teetotaler and careful about my diet, I can't even handle the Red-bull without the vodka. I am more an Adam's ale guy (yeah I wrote guy). Also, I am anti-meditation. I enjoy my curmudgeonism, but I take it only in small doses. Sometimes it gives me a buzz. There is actually a lot that enthrtalls me. Not the least of which, is the great company you and the other Alpha Agorans afford. Merry Christmas y'all.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

eberntson
Lexiterian

Postby eberntson » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:53 pm

Cheers!
EBERNTSON
Fear less, hope more;
eat less, chew more;
talk less, say more,
--R. Burns