snaffle

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
JohnYY
Junior Lexiterian

snaffle

Postby JohnYY » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:01 am

I believe to be a word without synonyms. Perhaps I can snaffle a word of praise for it!

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: snaffle

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:11 am

O-^-O

O-*-O

?
pl

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: snaffle

Postby Philip Hudson » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:52 am

Perry: At first I thought you were doodling. Then I realized you were cleverly drawing a snaffle. But why two? One for each side of the bridle?

Snaffle has synonyms. As a verb, snaffle synonyms are grab, snap up and take. As a noun, snaffle is usually used in "snaffle bit" which, though it is a specific part of a bridle to the initiated, is sometimes used as a synonym for bridle. The tack room is a mystery to most non-equestrians and thus to most people. My mom was an equestrian. My dad, not so much. To him, after we got tractors, they were just useless playthings that cost a mint to maintain.

Mother had to part with her almost lifelong friend, Ribbon, in an "It's the horse or me" ultimatum from my dad. As a coincidence, at about that same time, my father-in-law was laying down the same law to my mother-in-law. That was a sad thing for me because, except for horses, I am phobic of all other animals that might be considered "pets". I love horses. Else, why would I be named Philip? I suspect my mom knew Philip is from the Greek and means "lover of horses" and, counting on my dad not knowing, she chose my name.

There is not a horsier set than the English. Hence words describing horses and horse paraphernalia are rife in our language.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”