mensa

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

mensa

Postby Philip Hudson » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:44 am

I am interested in the origin and uses of the word mensa. It has been mentioned in Alpha Agora but I don’t see it as having been used as a Good Word. I have done some research on it, and would like to hear the Good Doctor's take on the word.

While "thumbing" through some old Alpha Agora threads, I came upon one in which a contributor boasted that he was a brick layer and a member of the Mensa organization. A carpet layer working in my house bragged that he was a member of Mensa. He joined to meet girls. Wow! Was he hard up! I have had Mensa members urge me to take the test and join. I have even had Mensa members tell me that I qualify for membership on the basis of my achievement. I have no desire whatsoever to identify myself with this self-aggrandizing group of egomaniacs. I can handle my egomania in the privacy of my own home, thank you. After suffering from a stroke, I was identified as an egomaniac by a shrink who said it was a bad problem for me because I wasn’t intelligent enough to be an egomaniac. Angst and assurance rolled into one package, that. This paragraph is somewhat tongue in cheek.

I am so glad there are no tests required to contribute to Alpha Agora. Keep it clean and be respectful seem to be the only rules.

BTW, I have laid lots of bricks and flooring in my day.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

William Hupy
Senior Lexiterian

Re: mensa

Postby William Hupy » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:22 pm

Mensa (pron.: /ˈmɛnsə/; Latin: [ˈmensa]) means "table" in Latin, as is symbolized in the organization's logo, and was chosen to demonstrate the round-table nature of the organization; the coming together of equals.
William A. Hupy

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:20 pm

Does anyone watch "The Big Bang Theory" on TV? I believe it it is the number one comedy program. Bunch of "mensas"? No round table.

eberntson
Lexiterian

Postby eberntson » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:11 pm

A law dictionary had this gem:

MENSA ET THORO. The phrase a mensa et thoro is applied to a divorce which separates the husband and wife but does not dissolve the marriage. Vide Divorce.

I enjoy the show "The Big Bang Theory" a great deal. it is not very often that physics is the root of humor on popular television.

E
EBERNTSON
Fear less, hope more;
eat less, chew more;
whine less, breathe more;
talk less, say more,
and all good things will be yours.
--R. Burns

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:32 pm

Thanks for MENSA ET THORO, eberntson.

I to am a fan of "The Big Bang Theory". If one is a scientist of any kind, and an engineer is a kind of scientist, Sheldon to the contrary notwithstanding, "The Big Bang Theory" is very relevant and hilarious.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”