BIBLIOPOLY

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

BIBLIOPOLY

Postby Dr. Goodword » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:15 am

• bibliopoly •

Pronunciation: bib-li-ah-pê-li • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: The business of trading in secondhand books, especially rare or decorative ones.

Notes: Today's Good Word was very popular in the 19th century, but is not listed as archaic or obsolete in any dictionary. It is derived from the personal noun bibliopole "secondhand or rare book dealer". It has a rather large family, including two adjectives: bibliopolar (from bibliopole), and bibliopolic (from today's word). We also have another activity noun, a slightly jocular alternative to today's word, bibliopolery, should your conversation lead you to poke fun at the business.

In Play: We can employ today's Good Word in a limited number of contexts: "Will Doolittle engages in bibliopoly at the local flea market on weekends." However, if you are a book collector, it might come in handy from time to time: "Gene Poole was such a bibliomaniacal collector all his life, it was a simple matter for him to go into bibliopoly."

Word History: Today's Good Word came to us via Latin from Greek bibliopoles "bookseller", made up of the root of biblion "book" + poles "seller". [ipyrus". This word may have been a commonization of Byblos, the Phoenecian port from which Egyptian papyrus was exported to Greece. Poles "seller" is the personal noun from polein "to sell". We can trace the root of this word to Sanskrit panate "barters, purchases", Lithuanian pelnas "gain", Dutch veil "venal, purchasable", German feil "for sale". The original Greek word is found in the English borrowing monopoly, implying a single seller. (Today's Good Word is due Luciano Eduardo de Oliveira, a staunch bibliophile and excellent editor of the Good Word series.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

Re: BIBLIOPOLY IN EBOOKS

Postby MTC » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:38 am

And speaking of tangents, has anyone considered what dealing in used ebooks should be called, when it becomes legal, that is? I suggest "bebliopoly," or "bibleopoly,"not to be confused with the selling of used Bibles. But what is the meaning of "rare" or "decorative" when books are no longer physical objects?

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: BIBLIOPOLY

Postby LukeJavan8 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:08 pm

Tangents?
Geometry always confused me.
Will we have a portal to these virtual bookstores?
I don't think I will be as interested in them as
much as I am in my many volumes of gold-edged
copies of Shakespeare, Scott, et. al.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: BIBLIOPOLY

Postby Perry Lassiter » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:58 pm

The developing "tradition" is to employ E as a prefix, thus ebibliopoly, or simply used ebookstore. After all, we get along fine with "used book store," don't we?
pl

Return to “Good Word Discussion”