DENDOCHRONOLOGY

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

DENDOCHRONOLOGY

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:05 pm

• dendrochronology •

Pronunciation: den-drê-krê-nah-lê-gee • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: The study of the history of climatic and environmental changes of a geographical region based on the interpretation of the annual growth rings in the trunks of trees.

Notes: Those who devote themselves to studying tree rings are dendrochronologists, and their studies are dendrochronological, that is, dendochronologically speaking. To the trained eye, tree rings tell us much more than simply the age of the tree. You can find out all you want to know about reading tree rings at The Ultimate Tree Ring Website.

In Play: The study of tree rings as indicators of the history of climatic and environmental conditions is not only taken seriously, it has become a respected science: "We thought Hester was just a tree-hugger until she completed her PhD in dendrochronology at the University of Tennessee." Of course, you have to beware of amateurs: "We stopped burning logs in our fireplace when an amateur dendrochronologist told us how much history of the area was going up in smoke."

Word History: Today's Good Word comes from a Greek-based compound made up of dendron "tree" + another compound, "chronologia", from chronos "time" + log- "word, idea" + ia, a noun suffix. Greek dendron "tree" also found its way into dendrophile "tree lover" and dendrolatry "tree worship". The root is from a Proto-Indo-European word with three variations, doru-, deru-, dru- "solid, be firm". The tended to become [w] or [v] if preceded by a vowel, so we find in Old Slavic drevo "tree, wood," which remains in Serbian, but became derevo in Russian. In Old English the dru- form became treow and, ultimately tree. The deru- form gave us tar, originally derived from the sap of trees.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

wurdpurrson
Lexiterian

Re: DENDOCHRONOLOGY

Postby wurdpurrson » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:27 am

I assume that the word "druid" is also a derivation of this?

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

Postby MTC » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:51 am

I assume that the word "druid" is also a derivation of this?
A branch, maybe.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:46 pm

I thought I posted something and it seems to have
disappeared. I have a friend who has a huge table
in his rec room with all the rings. I counted back
300 years once and had to stop, eyes went blurry.
The site Doc shows is amazing.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:46 pm

It is an amazing site! So much history can be contained within unexpected sources, waiting for someone interested enough to learn to read it.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”