WEBINAR

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
MTC
Grand Panjandrum

Re: WEBINAR

Postby MTC » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:41 am

gailr found the pun I left like an easter egg.

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:40 pm

I would have seen it even if you hadn't italicized it. I'll be watching your posts for the unexpected now... :wink:

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:15 am

gailr: I have not been contributing to Alpha Agora very long, and it appears you have had a short hiatus. Welcome back.

MTC is a wily fox and really adds spice to the conversation.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Postby call_copse » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:58 am

Yes, someone should chronicle these new words in the electronics world. I predict that the portmanteau word "webinar" will have a short life. Geeks do not like seminars, preferring to work alone in their own little worlds. The general public will tire of the word after the novelty has worn off. I don't think a web conference has been called a weberence yet. And people are likely to discuss remote conferences with other words. The patented word Skype comes to mind. Skypinar?
I hope webinar has a short life. I'm afraid I consider it a teeth-on-edge awful word. Beyond the word, webinars themselves are of questionable value in my experience and I no longer am willing to subject myself to them (maybe making an exception for one from MTC?). I either want to see the whites of your eyes in person or read a well researched and written article should I need to discuss a professional issue or gain knowledge. They're an experiment that has failed as far as my sphere of work (programming and web development) goes.
Iain

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:37 am

call_copse calls a spade a spade, so I will add my two-bits worth. When I was employed back in the 1980s, we didn't have the web but we did have telephone conferences and seminars. Live conferences and seminars in one room are bad enough. I would hate to be caught in a webinar. Someone might see me doodling or counting the number of time someone says, "ya know". When I was a teen my friends and I used to have contests in school and church, counting the number of times the speaker said some crutch word or the catch word of the week. At large graduation ceremonies, with abysmal acoustics, I spend my time classifying the graduates according to the ethnologies of their family names. We aren’t all WASPs. As a system engineer I spent hundreds of hours in technical reviews with detailed descriptions of things like Dewars in IR video (night vision). All I needed was dimensions, durability, connectivity, power, ergonomics and environmental requirements. But I got the whole nine yards. One can waste a lot of valuable time in life when he/she could be exchanging vital information on Alpha Agora.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

Postby MTC » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:13 am

Cal-copse got it right. Webinar is indeed a "teeth-on-edge" word . I mean, to crash "web" and "nar" together like a rock against a garbage can, (Are there any more tin garbage cans?) ouch! Somebody thought they were being clever, I guess.

Having rushed in to identify myself as a webinar speaker, I now find it awkward to criticize webinars, lest I be accused of "having it both ways." So, I won't. Ha!

Better to turn the mike over to my fellow Goodwordians. Likely I will learn something as Philip says.

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:50 pm

^^^^ Thank you, Philip.

I must confess that it's been more than a 'short' hiatus, and I've been off somewhere else talking like a pirate... :wink:

I'm looking forward to getting my vocabulary and spelling back up to standard!

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:17 pm

Gail, just noted your quote at the bottom. Did you read the beautiful children's book, I think titled Freddy, about the "lazy mouse or squirrel or some other critter, that sat around lazily while all the others gathered nuts or food for the winter. But come winter, he began to talk and painted the room with words of autumn and spring colors. They finally found he was a poet and of great value after all.
pl

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:24 pm

No, I haven't read that; I'll look for it.

I was looking for a "January" quote and liked the one I borrowed.

call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Postby call_copse » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:55 am

I might row back somewhat at least enough to say if you find webinars useful all power to your elbow. For me this has not been the case is all. I'd probably offer to present one if asked - though this is clearly pretty unlikely.
Iain

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:21 pm

That word is here to stay unless someone comes up with a better one. College education is increeasingly online, and graduate work is often done in seminars. With the price of gas, we will almost certainly see more of them.
pl

Return to “Good Word Discussion”