LAMENTABLE

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
sardith
Lexiterian

LAMENTABLE

Postby sardith » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:36 pm

Dear Word folk,

I noticed that it was in 2005 that the word, 'lament' came up in the queue, and it was just the word I was looking for, thanks. (Search options are such a blessing.) :D

While skimming around for info, I saw a quote by Alistair Cooke that I wanted to share:

"The field maneuvers may be different from those in Holmes's day, and the villain is more socially mobile, but since Sir Arthur we have not changed the three essential ingredients of the private eye. He must be a bachelor, with the bachelor's harum-scarum availability at all hours (William Powell's marriage to Myrna 'Nora' Loy, a wistful concession to the family trade, fooled nobody). He must have an inconspicuous fund of curious knowledge, which in the end is always crucially relevant. He must pity the official guardians of the law. Of course, the twentieth century has grafted some interesting personality changes on the original. Holmes was an eccentric in the Victorian sense, a man with queer hobbies--cocaine was lamentable but pardonably melodramatic--whose social code was essentially that of the ruling classes. He was, in a way, the avenging squire of the underworld ready to administer a horsewhipping to the outcasts who were never privileged by birth to receive it from their fathers. Bogart is a displaced person whose present respectability is uncertain, a classless but well-contained vagabond who is not going to be questioned about where he came from or where he is going. ("I came to Casablanca for the waters." "But there are no waters in Casablanca." "I was misinformed.")" :lol:

Happy Saturday everyone,
Sardith 8)
“The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.”
~Mark Twain, [pen name for Samuel Clemens], American author and humorist, (1835-1910)~

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: LAMENTABLE

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:24 pm

Laurie King resurrected Holmes about ten years ago in the Beekeeper's Apprentice and six or seven others since. At some point in the series he marries the brilliant student, but even more than Nick and Nora they seldom seem to live together in their adventures. The books vary in quality, and I like the first one and its opening scene the best. Still, I anticipate the next, which lamentably is several months off.
pl

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:39 pm

Has anyone watched the TV series "Elementary"? I haven't and won't.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:22 am

I watched an episode or two and may watch again. Raised on one set of characters, Basil Rathbone etc., it's hard to picture others. This TV show is about his grandson I think, and it's fascinates me and causes me to think about assumptions based on Basil, not on the book. These actors seem younger and it's almost like a rewrite for today. I enjoyed it a bit, but haven't got hooked on it. Why reject it if you haven't seen it?
pl

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:25 am

I have seen the promos. Implausible.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”