origin of "to cock a snook"

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
dsteve54
Junior Lexiterian

origin of "to cock a snook"

Postby dsteve54 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:11 am

origin of "to cock a snook".....ehhhhhh, okay, I am not even sure I can define it, much less think about origin, except to say it is some sort of derisive or defiant gesture and I can at least give a pointer to a picture
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/10/ ... 34x400.jpg
, but I can't say much more to help...maybe fingers wave or are static....I don't know....term sounds British...maybe an American may say five-fingered salute, but I rarely see any name for it....I just see it being done...but I have no idea what a snook is...etc.
Known in restaurant circles by quasi-Thai moniker, "That Guy" (e.g. heard in the back.."that guy is here again"; "that guy on/at table 10"; "that guy is going for a sirloin again", etc.)

Half the distance in half the states...from half2run.com

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: origin of "to cock a snook"

Postby Slava » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:37 pm

Here's one explanation, though it, too, doesn't know what a snook is:

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/cock-a-snook.html
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:40 pm

I remember a discussion about this phrase, and I thought it was here. I can only find this brief reference at the mo but will look again later.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:07 am

I just remember we did it a bunch in the fifties. Usually thumb on nose, four fingers waving. But I don't remember connecting it with the cock a snoot phrase before, though I had heard it.
pl

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:36 am

I just remember we did it a bunch in the fifties. Usually thumb on nose, four fingers waving. But I don't remember connecting it with the cock a snoot phrase before, though I had heard it.
I must ask, did you mean to write "snoot", or is it a typo?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:52 am

I am interested in almost every Good Word and Good Word suggestion. But "to cock a snook" is entirely foreign to me and also holds absolutely none of my interest. So why am I bothering to post this? I really can't say.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:09 am

So why am I bothering to post this? I really can't say.
Good point.

dsteve54
Junior Lexiterian

Postby dsteve54 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:05 am

Your contributions are all appreciated, thanks. But note that I put my request in the section "Good Word 'Suggestions'" rather than "Discussions", simply as an idea for Dr. Beard. So I guess it would not have mattered to me if anybody other than Dr. Beard had wanted to entertain it or not. But I thank you.
Known in restaurant circles by quasi-Thai moniker, "That Guy" (e.g. heard in the back.."that guy is here again"; "that guy on/at table 10"; "that guy is going for a sirloin again", etc.)

Half the distance in half the states...from half2run.com

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:34 pm

Snoot was not a typo. That's how I always heard it. Thanks for pointing out the K. Now you got me to wondering why the difference.
pl

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:42 pm

I think we have always commented on Good Word Suggestions. It gives us more fodder for our cannons. I am happy to entertain "to cock a snook" even though no one seems to know where it came from. I just don't plan to put it in my vocabulary of immediate recall. Due to my advanced age, that vocabulary has tended carefully so I won't always be at a loss for words.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:28 pm

I think we have always commented on Good Word Suggestions. It gives us more fodder for our cannons.
True. I also believe our comments give the Dr. more to go on and show him what his readers are interested in.

I also don't recall the Dr. ever taking up a phrase.

A suggestion: if anyone does not wish to hear from the Agora, go to the blog or write a PM to the Good Dr. directly.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”