Tread

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
eberntson
Lexiterian

Tread

Postby eberntson » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:23 pm

Tread is again one of those words that has many uses. As a verb, intransive verb, and as a noun. I find the verb and noun quite interesting, a tread is use on tires, stairs, a method of walking, bottom of shoes, etc.

A favorite quote for policy is "Tread lightly and carry a big stick."

Here is what Websters had to say:

Main Entry: 1tread
Pronunciation: \ˈtred\
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): trod \ˈträd\ also tread·ed; trod·den \ˈträ-dən\ or trod ; tread·ing
Etymology: Middle English treden, from Old English tredan; akin to Old High German tretan to tread
Date: before 12th century
transitive verb
1 a : to step or walk on or over b : to walk or proceed along : follow <treading a fine line between tradition and innovation> 2 a : to beat or press with the feet : trample b : to subdue or repress as if by trampling : crush 3 : to copulate with —used of a male bird 4 a : to form by treading : beat <tread a path> b : to execute by stepping or dancing <tread a measure>
intransitive verb
1 : to move or proceed on or as if on foot <must tread lightly> 2 a : to set foot <has gone where others fear to tread> b : to put one's foot : step <carelessly treading on the flowers> 3 : copulate
— tread·er noun
— tread on one's toes : to give offense (as by encroaching on one's rights or feelings)
— tread water : to keep the body nearly upright in the water and the head above water by a treading motion of the feet usually aided by the hands
EBERNTSON
Fear less, hope more;
eat less, chew more;
whine less, breathe more;
talk less, say more,
and all good things will be yours.
--R. Burns

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Tread

Postby Perry Lassiter » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:33 pm

It may be my dirty mind, but I seized on the never thought of usage re birds copulating. If birds tread, they copulate? Where did that come from?
pl

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:39 am

I can't find a poem that begins, "Tread softly Spring and make no sudden sound." I think it was written by Ruth Suckow. I have searched all my poetry books and Goggled the Internet. Can someone help me?
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:17 pm

I can't find a poem that begins, "Tread softly Spring and make no sudden sound." I think it was written by Ruth Suckow. I have searched all my poetry books and Goggled the Internet. Can someone help me?
It's called Four Little Foxes and by Lew Sarrett.

http://www.all-creatures.org/poetry/ar-fourlittle.html
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:04 pm

Thanks Slava. I don't know why I got the author wrong. I read this poem first when I was about twelve years old.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”