raunchy

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
William Hupy
Senior Lexiterian

raunchy

Postby William Hupy » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:13 pm

I am unable to find an origin for this word. Does anyone have an idea?
William A. Hupy

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: raunchy

Postby Perry Lassiter » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:32 pm

raunchy (adj.)
1939, "clumsy, careless, sloppy," U.S. Army Air Corps slang, of unknown origin. Origins among cadets in Texas suggest possible connection to Mexican Spanish rancho (see ranch (n.)), which had connotations of animal filth by 1864. Sense of "coarse, vulgar, smutty" is from 1967. Related: Raunchiness.
Online Etym Dict
pl

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:12 pm

I can't buy Etymonline's suggested guess. It is a stretch to blame it on the word ranch or rancho. The word ranch has an interesting etymology, coming from Mexican Spanish to English were it got a new meaning and then having the meaning transferred back to the Spanish rancho.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:00 am

Raunchy or raunch has not yet made it to Good Word status. I am reviving it due to a recent television program where some of the "entertainment" was styled as raunchy. Lady Gaga performed, but raunch is her stock in trade, so nothing new there. Madonna, an outstandingly talented actor and singer, had her raunchy episodes as the Material Girl. I didn't actually view the TV program Sunday, but I saw clips and discussions on newscasts and the Internet. Hannah Montana (Miley Cyrus), the idol of the preteen set for years, seems to have reached the apex of raunch. Who would have thunk it? In the light of the prevalence of raunch, perhaps we should move this bad word to the Good Word forum. On the other hand, the word might not deserve such honor. I previously trounced the only suggested etymology available. So what is there left to say?
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”