paradigm

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
William Hupy
Senior Lexiterian

paradigm

Postby William Hupy » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:51 pm

You corporate people are going to hate me for this. I am certain you have been challenged by HR's overuse of this word, as in "paradigm shift". However, I just read an article with paradigmatic in it. I had to finally look it up and being the generous person I am, thought to share it with all of you. No charge. It is from Greek meaning essentially to show side by side.
William A. Hupy

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: paradigm

Postby Philip Hudson » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:51 pm

Thanks for the word "paradigm", William. If the Good Doctor chooses this word as a Good Word I will be pleased. He might make some sense out of the ubiquity of the phrase "paradigm shift."

For all the importance attributed to them, one might think paradigm shifts were something on the order of continental drift or movement along a tectonic plate with earthquakes, volcanoes, and California falling off the west coast of America. It is nothing so dramatic. Before, we merely changed our methods or tried out something new. Now we have paradigm shifts or segue into a new paradigm based on some new taxonomy.

I love six-bit words as much as anybody, but then they go viral and it is "Katy bar the door."
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”