Googly

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Googly

Postby call_copse » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:24 am

In honour of The Ashes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ashes I propose the word above. It can be used literally as a cricket term (noun) meaning a particular kind of deceptive ball delivery, or as a general term meaning to catch an opponent out (in a positive, sporting manner) in an unexpected or surprising way. It even has a verb form 'to google' not to be confused with employing the popular search engine.
Iain

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Googly

Postby Slava » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:32 pm

Let's not forget Barney Google and his goo-goo-googly eyes.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Googly

Postby Philip Hudson » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:24 pm

Ian: Thanks for a little non-American sports information. Most Americans know nothing about cricket and think it a quaint little game. I am sports illiterate so I wouldn't know.
Nothing is worse that badminton, which I was forced to try in school. I could never get that little feathery thing over the net. I was forced to take golf the next semester and I never could hit that little ball sitting on a matchstick. I could not tee off but my instructor was teed off at me. He complimented me by saying I was the worst coordinated person he had ever seen.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”