epistemology

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
William Hupy
Senior Lexiterian

epistemology

Postby William Hupy » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:20 am

For once I have little comment on this word, except, perhaps to say that I cannot imagine it being used often.
William A. Hupy

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: epistemology

Postby Slava » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:52 am

For once I have little comment on this word, except, perhaps to say that I cannot imagine it being used often.
Sad that it's not used more often. We might learn something if we studied knowledge on occasion.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:10 pm

The word is used frequently in the discipline of philosophy. It includes semantics or semiotic, logic, and some other more technical disciplines like phenomenology. When writing a complete philosophy, a perenial question is whether to begin with epistemology or metaphysics, as each presumes the other. Science often assumes its epistemology with a "realism" that assumes some reality is out there that can be studied. Scientism takes it a step further and says that is the only true knowledge. It is probably safer to assume science is one valid source of knowledge, but there may be others.

In theology there is a similar problem of whether one begins with a docrine of God or of revelation. On the one hand, how can we say anything about a god or gods without a universal or specific revelation. On the other hand, doesn't a theory of revelation imply in itself something of the nature of the god in question? Namely, that the god reveals himself or herself.

A basic question in any philosophy or theology is the role of authority. Is the Bible, Quran, Baghavad-Gita authoritative, and if so, in what sense? Likewise in science, we find devotees who feel constrained to accept Einstein and Freud's teachings as authoritative to the point some feel a struggle to disagree with them.
pl

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:01 am

I am not on an intellectual level to doubt Einstein. It is not my intellectual level that gives me problems with Freud. I malaprop his name as Sickman Fraud.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”