Coach

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Coach

Postby Slava » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:58 pm

A simple word, but with many seemingly different meanings. How can a horse-carriage have anything to do with a voice trainer? Or a bus, for that matter?

I've looked it up, so I know, but I think it might be a worthy one to foist off on the subscribers.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Coach

Postby Philip Hudson » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:11 am

Coach is chock full of definitions. When you drive a stagecoach you are likely to have a coach whip that you flick over the horses backs to urge them on. Since a long black snake looks like a coach whip, it is called a coach whip. Although I have not researched it, I think most of the definitions come from the word used for a carriage.

You might note that I wrote chock full. You definitely will not hear that expression south of the Mason-Dixon line. I used it because I lived in New York City for a while and want to show I can break out of my Red Neck mold on occasion.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:59 pm

I've heard and used "chock full" all my life. I'll have to pay attention and see whether I picked it up from Yankee books er sumpin'.
pl

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:28 pm

How about the coffee? Chock full o'nuts.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:14 am

Perry: Your using "chock full" proves how cosmopolitan you are.

Slava: We don't have "Chock full o'nuts" in Red Neck land although it is good coffee. We also have a different definition of regular coffee. I will never forget my surprise at being served coffee with milk in Yankee Land. I had agreed I wanted it regular. Down here regular coffee is black, sugarless and strong, with maybe a little chicory added if you have Louisiana roots.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:38 am

Au contraire, cafe au lait is de rigeur at the famous NOLA Cafe du Monde. However, to me, hot milk or cream ruins good coffee. Most places need to double their coffee strength. I'm surprised so many drink Starbucks, 'cause they get it right. Of course, perhaps the majority of their customers pay obscene prices for all sorts of adulterated drinks.
pl

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:06 pm

Adulterated drinks remind me of the man who drew an illustration for each of the ten commandments to go in a children's book. To illustrate "Do not commit adultery" he showed someone putting cream in his coffee.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”