Charisma

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Charisma

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:19 am

• charisma •

Pronunciation: -riz-Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. (No plural) A magnetic attraction that allows someone to influence others. 2. A favor from God, an unusual talent or gift, such as a charisma for creating miracles.

Notes: Today's Good Word was Anglicized to charism for a while, but then was reborrowed from Greek along with the Greek plural, charismata. If you have charisma, you are charismatic, which allows you to do things charismatically.

In Play: We most often hear this word in its first sense above: "The charisma of the new Republican presidential candidate, Donald Trump, has charged the spirit of the Republican presidential campaign." We should not forget its spiritual implication, however: "Unless you have a charisma for foreseeing the future, you should take an umbrella with you to work today."

Word History: Today's Good Word started out as Proto-Indo-European gher- "to like, want". It kept close to this meaning in the Germanic languages. In Swedish it came to be gärna, in Dutch, graag, both meaning "happily, gladly", but in German it picked up N as a suffix, becoming gern "happily, gladly". In English the initial G became Y, giving us yearn. The R in the root apparently also underwent metathesis (switched places with the vowel) to become greedy. In Latin the same underlying root went into the creation of hortari "to encourage, urge", the verb underlying hortatorius, which English borrowed as hortatory. (We offer Doug Smith a hortatory word of thanks to encourage him to send us more Good Words like charisma.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Charisma

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:58 pm

Specifically within church circles, charisma has multiple uses. The New Testament teaches the all Christians are given gifts by the Spirit to use in ministry. However the first thought in recent years when one hears a person or church is charismatic, we assume it means speaking in tongues or glossolalia. For many of us, a major aim of the church is discovering charismata, developing them, and employing them in service. I have often been known to say a charisma is a baptized talent.
pl

chatsnoir
Junior Lexiterian

Postby chatsnoir » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:42 am

1. word history involving hortari.... HUH? what happened to kharis, etc?

2. cannot think of anything about donald trump that speaks to grace. more like horrifying, as in watching a train wreck.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:05 pm

Hortari is Latin. Kharis or charis is Greek. Apparently Doc got diverted in the etymology. But the PIE root could also apply, since the ger could have transformed into the Chi (X in Greek).
pl

chatsnoir
Junior Lexiterian

Postby chatsnoir » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:10 pm

That's what i thought, too--a sidetrack down the road called yearning.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:46 pm

1. word history involving hortari.... HUH? what happened to kharis, etc?

2. cannot think of anything about donald trump that speaks to grace. more like horrifying, as in watching a train wreck.

Let's please keep politics out of this site, can we? And a person's
name is capitalized.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

chatsnoir
Junior Lexiterian

Postby chatsnoir » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:22 pm

not when the text is all lower case! 8)

(unless, of course, the person's name is God)

i guess this means you don't want to hear my donald trump joke about camels and the eye of a needle....

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:32 pm

Luke, the last name there is noir... :D
pl

chatsnoir
Junior Lexiterian

Postby chatsnoir » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:13 pm

meaning?

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:04 am

Kidding Luke about his politics crack.
pl

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:14 pm

I can take the crack. Not sure about the 'noir'.
We talk Religion here very respectfully, though we are not
all obviously of the same persuasion. But politics too often
rankles. And our country is already too seriously
divided over it this election cycle.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

chatsnoir
Junior Lexiterian

Postby chatsnoir » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:30 pm

i think our country has been seriously divided politically for years, not just in this election cycle. 2008 and 2012 seemed to bring the haters out of the woodwork. i personally don't like to see religion politicized so much. the puritans came here to "purify" their religion from the crown, after all, and i think we would be wise to keep it that way. i take my faith very seriously as well, but also believe that God has a sense of humor. i was reading an opinion piece on christianity today's website about why so many evangelicals were meeting with trump but not officially supporting him: they were hoping that he would have a very public conversion experience, which he was "so badly in need of."

it was certainly not my intention to offend anyone with my posts, and so i apologize if i did.

would still like to know about the "last name is noir" remark.... which has the appearance of, well, you know. please tell me i'm wrong.

peace and love to you

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:36 pm

Certainly no offense meant, and I sometimes shoot f my mouth too quickly. My ijtended puns are often a reach. I'm a avid mystery fan, and a sub-genre is "noir," full of hard boiled dysfunctional characters with gloomy plots. I juxtaposed the hard-boiled next to your criticism of Trump and figured everyone would get it. Guess not. Oops! Please forgive. (I agree, btw.)
pl

chatsnoir
Junior Lexiterian

Postby chatsnoir » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:38 pm

yes, i am familiar with the "noir" genre, and that thought did cross my mind, but i could not imagine how it related to my post. thank you for your houdini-worthy explanation, though, for which i will give you the benefit of the doubt. is this the most controversy ever seen on this website? :mrgreen:

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:15 pm

Sadly no. We can get into fierce battles over whether to very carefully split an infinitive and such like.
pl

Return to “Good Word Discussion”