Compossible

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Compossible

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:44 pm

• compossible •

Pronunciation: kêm-pahs-ê-bêl • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: Possible together, in coexistence with something else.

Notes: Today's Good Word adds a touch of specificity to the sense of possible "possible with", possible with the Latin prefix com- "(together) with". The noun is compossibility and the adverb, compossibly.

In Play: The 2008 financial crash in the United States demonstrated that there are levels of greed that are not compossible with good management. But we needn't go to Wall Street to find areas of compossibility: "Gustav, I find you are generally a good roommate, so I hope that our different attitudes toward tidiness are compossible."

Word History: Today's word was created in the Late Latin period, just before Latin became Old French, the source of the English word. It is composed of com- "(together) with + possibilis "possible". The prefix com- in Latin is a variant of the preposition cum "(together) with", as in graduating cum laude "with praise (honors)". Look out for com- because the final M changes depending on the consonant it is connected to. That is it in con-demn, cor-rect, and col-lect. Possibilis is based on the modal verb posse "can, able to". The verb is related to potis "able, capable" from an earlier form meaning "strong, powerful". This explains the meaning of potent and potential, both based on the Latin word. The same root went into the making of Greek posis "husband" and Persian pasha from Old Persian pati- "master".
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Compossible

Postby Philip Hudson » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:00 pm

This is a new word for me. I can't see putting it in my personal vocabulary. But I am glad to know it exists.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:00 pm

Is the opposite comimpossible? Or mutually exclusive?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

damoge
Senior Lexiterian

Postby damoge » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:18 pm

wouldn't "incompossible" be easier to pronounce? or "noncom- possible"?
either way, seems to me to be getting almost german-long and not really needed, no?
Everything works out, one way or another

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:50 am

Hmmm - noncom-possible? A new word for a One-A draft classification? ''Could be possible as an NCO"?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

damoge
Senior Lexiterian

Postby damoge » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:24 pm

well, you know, it's not just online sites that can make typos. Actually, what I wrote looked like it was going to appear with noncom and possible on two different lines. Rather than have it look like two words, I put in the hyphen, sent it off. Ah well, will (perhaps) teach me to look at things when they post...

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:47 am

My comment wasn't meant to be taken as criticism, just trying to make a funny.

Typos can be pretty bad, though. A recent one I heard of, involving Yahoo Finance, was about as bad as they get. Trying to tweet about how Trump wants a "much bigger navy," the typist missed the "b" and went one key too far. Previewing one's post is something everyone should do.

damoge
Senior Lexiterian

Postby damoge » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:04 pm

Ok, Slava, we're even. I took no offense, was trying to return in a light-hearted vein...

No comment on the Trump related typo. Don't want to add in any way to the embarrassment no doubt suffered. But! why can't people proof read?

George Kovac
Lexiterian

Postby George Kovac » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:35 pm

about typos:

I recently received a revised copy of a document. The urgent covering message from the other lawyer explained that the new version was necessary to correct an awkward "scrivner's" error in her prior draft. Really, this happened.

Wow, I thought "scrivener" was an embarrassing word to mispell in that context. But I said nothing, since I knew the other attorney had a type-o personality.
"Language is rooted in context, which is another way of saying language is driven by memory." Natalia Sylvester, New York Times 4/13/2024

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:04 am

Ouch. :lol:

Return to “Good Word Discussion”