Crapulence

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Crapulence

Postby Dr. Goodword » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:50 pm

• crapulence •

Pronunciation: kræ-pyê-lêns • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun, mass (no plural)

Meaning: Crapulence is the discomfort resulting from immoderate eating or drinking. However, some think that crapulence is overeating or overdrinking itself. I don't.

Notes: This word has two adjectives: the obvious crapulent plus a synonym, crapulous. Each has an adverb crapulently and crapulously, respectively. This word is used rarely in medicine in its original Latin sense of "intoxication", but it still serves as a good general substitute for hangover.

In Play: Now that you know crapulence doesn't mean what you thought it means, you may use it even in polite company: "Thanksgiving dinner was a feast of plenty at our house, but it brought on a wicked bout of crapulence that scoffed at every antacid I fed it." Good advice to keep in mind: "If the wages of thin are hunger, the wages of pudge are crapulence."

Word History: This funny word comes from Late Latin crapulentus "drunk", an adjective built up from the noun crapula "intoxication". The root of crapula is the same as that of Greek kraipale "hangover". It is totally unrelated to crap, which comes from the losing throw in the dice game called craps. This word was donated to English by the French speakers of Louisiana. The 'Cajun' French word was borrowed from English crabs, the original name of the dice game. Crab is related to crawl, an activity often accompanying crapulence from drinking. The nausea following immoderate indulgence in shooting craps comes from poverty and is also unrelated to crapulence.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

George Kovac
Lexiterian

Re: Crapulence

Postby George Kovac » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:25 pm

I have always enjoyed using the word "crapulent." Its meaning is precise, but of course it is the paronomasia that appeals to epeolators like me who still indulge a childish sense of humor. Etymology can be devious and misleading, and, in the case of "crapulent", highly amusing. Three cheers for bad taste!

When my kids were young, our family all enjoyed "Steven Spielberg Presents the Animaniacs", an animated television series for children that was wacky, often subversively educational (e.g., jokey songs that taught names of state capitals, countries in the UN, math exercises, identities of the US presidents, etc.), and presented with humor that winked at the adults.

The appeal of the word "crapulent" reminds me of one of my favorite Animanics songs (a geography themed ditty), which my sons loved to sing with gusto:

Lake Titicaca, Lake Titicaca,
It's between Bolivia and Peru.
Lake Titicaca, yes, Lake Titicaca,
With waters tranquil and blue.
Oh, Lake Titicaca, yes, Lake Titicaca.
Why do we sing of its fame?
Lake Titicaca, yes, Lake Titicaca,
'Cause we really like saying its name!

Well, as my fellow Miamian, the author Dave Barry, has written, "You can only be young once. But you can always be immature."
"Language is rooted in context, which is another way of saying language is driven by memory." Natalia Sylvester, New York Times 4/13/2024

misterdoe
Senior Lexiterian

Re: Crapulence

Postby misterdoe » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:35 pm

Well, as my fellow Miamian, the author Dave Barry, has written, "You can only be young once. But you can always be immature."
:D I love reading Dave Barry. My favorite quote of his is a paraprosdokian I've quoted here before: "For a long time I've wanted to tell this story very badly, and I think I have succeeded." :mrgreen:

Return to “Good Word Discussion”