Ampersand

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Ampersand

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:30 pm

• ampersand •

Pronunciation: æm-pêr-sænd • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: &, a symbol for the conjunction and.

Notes: Today's Good Word refers to a symbol, and for that reason is semantically very limited, hence it has no extended derivational family.
In Play: Ampersand has a rigidly fixed narrow meaning that precludes any play at all: "The editor of my piece chided me for using ampersands and made me replace them with and written out." Again, "Current (2017) AT&T commercials refer to 'the power of AND', referring to, I presume, the ampersand in its logo."

Word History: This word is a contraction of and per se and, meaning "and by itself and", a hybrid phrase, partly in Latin, partly in English. An earlier form of it was colloquial ampussy, which was dropped for obvious reasons, though ampassy was tried and failed at about the same time. &c. was once common way of writing etc., an abbreviation for et "and" + cetera "the rest". So, the symbol & referred the Latin word et "and", and comes from an old Roman system of shorthand signs attested in Pompeian graffiti. All the later Europeans had to do was drop that final C. (Let's now laud & thank Jackie Strauss for suggesting today's historically interesting Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Ampersand

Postby LukeJavan8 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:44 pm

One time, as I understand it, the last letter of the alphabet,
'and by itself',and.
X,Y,Z 'and by itself' &.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Return to “Good Word Discussion”