Balm

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Pattie
Junior Lexiterian

Balm

Postby Pattie » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:30 pm

In these wearisome and worrisome days of 'alternative facts' (at least they know enough not to say 'alternate facts'), my mind has been churning with words like 'flagitious' and 'meretricious'. Will someone please provide some linguistic balm by suggesting a gentler, more fragrant word. Petrichor, of course, springs to mind, but we've discussed that before.
PattieT

George Kovac
Lexiterian

Re: Balm

Postby George Kovac » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:52 pm

I have no linguistic balm, but I can offer some literary balm in the form of this word: Aldous Huxley's "soma." It has a pleasant sound, suggests an ersatz etymology with the Latin word for sleep, and its (fictional) cultural and pharmacological effects are equally pleasant. I think we can all use a lot of soma in the next few years.
"Language is rooted in context, which is another way of saying language is driven by memory." Natalia Sylvester, New York Times 4/13/2024

Pattie
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Pattie » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:50 pm

Bring on the soma!
PattieT

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:49 am

I wouldn't be opposed to the word balm, itself. Unless one is confused, as in Monty Python's "Life of Brian." Then, go for "salve."
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”