pecan

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
bnjtokyo
Lexiterian

pecan

Postby bnjtokyo » Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:16 am

I would like to suggest "pecan" as a suitable Good Word of the Day.
Pecan refers to various aspects of the plant Carla illinoensis, the tree and its eatable nut/fruit and various things made from the fruit such as pecan pies. Other than its nominal and adjective uses, it has no other family nor does it feature in any idioms.
It is of interest because it comes to English from in proto-algonquin roots. Etymonline says it dates from "1712, paccan "the North American pecan tree," or a related hickory, from French pacane, from an Algonquian word meaning "nut" (compare Cree pakan "hard-shelled nut," Ojibwa bagaan, Abenaki pagann, Fox /paka:ni/)."
The American Heritage Dictionary says "[North American French pacane, from Illinois pakani, nut, from Proto-Algonquian *paka·n-, large nut.]"
Previously, there was discussion on this site concerning the pronunciation. Apparently there is some northern vs southern dialectal differences in it pronunciation.
https://www.alphadictionary.com/bb/view ... ecan#p9515
Our friend Phiiip Hudson tells us the pecan is the state tree of Texas, which should give Texans some credibility on the pronunciation but the Algonquin root and the "illinoensis" in the scientific name give the midlands American dialect some validity. Perhaps Dr Goodword's experience south and north of the Mason and Dixon line will give him some insight into how and why it is pronounced when and where.

bbeeton
Senior Lexiterian

Re: pecan

Postby bbeeton » Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:13 am

Just a note that the tree itself provides a beautiful hardwood, used for furniture. At one time, furniture made from it was advertised as "pecky pecan", owing to numerous small imperfections that gave the impression that a woodpecker had been having its way, but I think the effect was enhanced by application of small spots of black stain. (A couple of very attractive and sturdy examples find uses in our house.)

As for pronunciation, growing up in Baltimore, I heard the word stressed on either syllable, with a more "French" cast when the stress is on the last syllable. I've heard both pronunciations from both Southerners and Northerners, and think the Frenchified version may be more an indication of "status" than of location. We need the Doctor's help here.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”