plural acronyms

You have letters - now what do you do with them?
bbeeton
Senior Lexiterian

plural acronyms

Postby bbeeton » Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:58 pm

In another forum (one dealing with typesetting by computer), a question was raised regarding how to indicate the plural form of an acronym (or initialism), in particular, one that ends in "S". So, for example, what's the right way to indicate the plural of OS (Operating System)?

Some suggestions included adding "apostrophe s", but that's the "grocer's apostrophe"; besides, "OS's" could be interpreted as pointing out a feature of the OS. "OSs" looks silly and wrong. Why not "OSes", modeled after the pluralization of proper names that end with "s"? Seems logical, but I've never seen it.

A related question was, where does one add the "s" to an acronym where the plural of the spelled-out phrase is indicated on a word other than the last, for example, "Tables of Contents"? The person asking the question (granted, not a native English speaker) was contemplating "TsOC". But this was quickly rejected in favor of "TOCs" -- which can actually be pronounced without stumbling.

The proliferation of these abbreviated forms isn't likely to subside. In fact, a favorite in the circles I run around in is "TLA", for "Three Letter Acronym". And it's getting harder and harder to know what is meant without context. (Is "CIA" the Culinary Institute of America or the Central Intelligence Agency?) And I don't even indulge in text messages on a cell phone. What's a poor old Luddite to do?

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: plural acronyms

Postby Slava » Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:02 pm

I've taken to quibbling with the CDC, which really should be the CsDC&P. Only to myself, though. :)

As for others, I'd take the easy way out and spell it out when there might be confusion.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Spelling”