Quarter

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Quarter

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:49 pm

• quarter •

Pronunciation: kwor-dêr • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. A fourth of anything, one of four parts. 2. A zone or district of a city or other geographic area. 3. (Always plural) Assigned station or lodgings. 4. Mercy, leniency, safe harbor, refuge as 'to give no quarter to the enemy.'

Notes: Other dictionaries provide from 16 (Merriam-Webster) to 41 (Oxford English) repetitious definitions which center around the four above. It comes with an adjective-adverb, quarterly "every quarter of a year" and it may be used as a verb, meaning "to cut into quarters" or "to occupy or provide quarters in". The verb provides a base for a personal noun, quarterer.

In Play: The first sense of this word is by far the most often used: "Anita Job was a quarter of an hour late for her interview." The word may also refer to a specific district of a city or town: "The African Quarter of town was also known as the Jazz Quarter, enjoyed by a diversity of people."

Word History: Today's Good Word was captured from Old French quartier "quarter", inherited from Latin quartarius "fourth part", based on quartus "fourth". This word was handed down from PIE kwetwer- "four", found also behind Sanskrit catvara, Persian čatvar, Greek tessares, Latin quattuor, Armenian chors, Russian četyre, Serbian četiri, Polish cztery, Lithuanian keturi, Latvian četri, Irish ceathair, and Welsh pedwar (where Č = CH). How English four, Dutch and German vier, Danish fire, and Swedish fyra could have evolved from the same PIE word is controversial. They may have evolved from some Proto-Germanic form fedwores, supported by Old English feower, Gothic fidwor, and Old Saxon fiuwar. The initial F might have resulted from the influence of the next number, five. (Today we need to thank Barbara Beeton for suggesting today's remarkably Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Debbymoge
Lexiterian

Re: Quarter

Postby Debbymoge » Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:25 am

...and Welsh pedwar (where Č = CH).

Dear Doctor,
Am I missing something here, or are you?

Debby
I am but mad north-north-west. When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw.
Shakespear

bnjtokyo
Lexiterian

Postby bnjtokyo » Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:14 pm

I had the same thought, but then I noticed the phase
". . . found also behind Sanskrit catvara, Persian čatvar, Greek tessares, Latin quattuor, Armenian chors, Russian četyre, Serbian četiri, Polish cztery, Lithuanian keturi, Latvian četri, Irish ceathair, and Welsh pedwar (where Č = CH)"
contains the Č letter four times prior to the pronunciation note. So I infer the note is intended to apply to those previous occurrences and not the most immediately proximate "Welsh pedlar."

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:17 am

I think you are right, bnj.

But, I did cough a little at the recommended pronunciation. Kwor-dêr.

I mean, really? I know this is fundamentally an American website and that a lot of Americans have trouble pronouncing a t as a t, but to suggest that it is supposed to sound like a d, is pushing the bounds of artistic license.

I also note the w in the suggested pronunciation. This too nudges my tolerance. In England and even in well spoken parts of Australia the word is kor-têr or even kaw-tah. But kwor-dêr? Really?

Yours, provocatively,

David

Return to “Good Word Discussion”