Appellation

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Appellation

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:51 pm

• appellation •

Pronunciation: æp-pê-lay-shên • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: A name, title, or other designation by which someone or something is called or identified.

Notes: Today's Good Word often trips up spellers because of its double double letters: two Ps and two Ls. In this respect it is like accommodate and millennium. Be careful. Its adjective is appellative "related to names or naming", as 'an appellative process'. This word is related to appeal and, consequently, to appellate, as in 'appellate court', in ways discussed in today's Word History.

In Play: Today's word is better than simple name when you wish to point out that a name carries some special meaning: "I am afraid that Prudence is a captive of her own appellation, never driving over 50 miles per hour." This term is often applied to product names, especially wines: "Well, this wine may contain 'Pinot noir' in its appellation, but if you drink it, you may pinot more."

Word History: In Middle English today's Good Word was appelacion, borrowed from Old French apelacion, which descended from Latin appellatio(n). Appellatio(n) is a noun based on appellatus, the past participle of appellare "to drive to, push toward, appeal". This word is composed of an assimilated form of ad "(up) to" + pellere "to strike, push", handed down from PIE pel-/pol- "to beat, strike, drive". Since the Germanic languages converted [p] to [f], we find felt in English from Proto-Germanic felt- "beat, beaten", for felt is a cloth that isn't woven, but compressed, beaten. Latin borrowed this word from some Germanic language because the Romans used felt for filtering liquids, hence Latin filtrum "filter". Filtrum was filtre by the time it reached French when English borrowed it. Latin also used the O-variant for polire "to polish". You can guess the rest of its history.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

George Kovac
Lexiterian

Re: Appellation

Postby George Kovac » Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:38 am

Dr GoodWord wrote:

Today’s Word often trips up spellers because of its double double letters: two Ps and two Ls. In this respect it is like accommodate and millennium. Be careful.

Indeed. The rules for doubling consonants are harder than advanced bookkeeping. In the beginning I had many occasions in which I was unsuccessful in avoiding misspellings. I didn’t want to sound like a dumbbell from Mississippi or Missouri or even Massachusetts.
"Language is rooted in context, which is another way of saying language is driven by memory." Natalia Sylvester, New York Times 4/13/2024

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:11 am

You forgot necessary. :)

Occasion is one of my bugbears. I keep trying to spell it 'ocai'. Another one that throws me every time is Assisi. I haven't found the pneumatic device I need to drill into my feeble brain just where the double-s goes. Maybe "The ass is I" would work? :shock:
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Debbymoge
Lexiterian

Postby Debbymoge » Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:56 am

Slava,

EXCELLENT!!!!
I am but mad north-north-west. When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw.
Shakespear

bbeeton
Senior Lexiterian

Postby bbeeton » Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:27 pm

Let's have a little fun with homophones

Appalachian is the appellation for a mountain chain and its eponymous Trail, which follows the summits from Georgia to Maine.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”