Bupkis

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Bupkis

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:33 pm

• bupkis •

Pronunciation: bêp-kês • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun, mass (no plural)

Meaning: (Slang) Absolutely nothing, diddly, squat, zip, zilch, nada.

Notes: Today's Good Word is another kindly donation from Yiddish heard mostly in the northern tier and western slab of the US. Since this is a slang word, spoken more than written, the spelling hovers around bupkiss, bupkes, bupkus, and bupkis or even bubkis. Bupkis seems to be the most widely used currently. This word is a lexical orphan, not even a bupkisness to parallel nothingness. It is just there, all but lost among the host of other slang alternatives to nothing.

In Play: We still hear this word more frequently in the Jewish community: "After pulling the company back from the brink of bankruptcy I didn't get diddly for my effort and my Jewish friend got bupkis." However, it has long since entered the general vocabulary: "Hadley is the greatest asset of the investment firm, but he isn't worth bupkis around the house."

Word History: Today's Good Word comes from rather smelly origins. Its ultimate source is the Russian word bobok "bean". However, the sense of it that reached English is a reduction of the Yiddish word kozebupkes "goat pellets, droppings". This word, in turn, is a compound comprising the Russian words koza "goat" + bobki "little beans". The root koz- survives in the Slavic languages, where it did render up kozha "skin, hide", originally referring only to goat skin. Bob "bean" shares its origin with Latin faba "bean", which became Italian fava of fava bean fame after years of phonetic grinding. (Today we thank Rodger Collins for suggesting a word whose origin gets everyone's goat.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Re: Bupkis

Postby David Myer » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:34 pm

This surprises me. Goat droppings are hardly 'absolutely nothing' - not much, I agree, but not really nothing at all. Maybe nothing worth bothering with? In Australia, we vulgarly use the word bullshit, but it means nonsense or baloney, rather than nothing at all.

Perhaps this is another one that is shifting slightly in meaning as time passes.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:30 pm

p8FoBSPypus7bEDALpdT6Y-1920-80.jpg
p8FoBSPypus7bEDALpdT6Y-1920-80.jpg (164.13 KiB) Viewed 17579 times
Visual aid on how to use this word.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:12 am

Love it, Slava. Clever cartoon.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”