Plagiarize

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Plagiarize

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:04 pm

• plagiarize •

Pronunciation: play-jêr-raiz • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: Artistic theft, to copy the words or ideas, music or designs of another person and to represent them as one's own.

Notes: Here is a word that has traveled far and wide semantically (see Word History). It comes with an action and result noun, plagiarism, and and two personal nouns plagiarist and plagiarizer. Plagarism seems to have replaced its synonym plagiary, though the latter is still around, waiting to be used. Watch out for the Z and S dance.

In Play: Plagiarism is artistic theft: "Les Cheatham played the ears of his fans by plagiarizing something from every tune he heard." In his song "Lobachevsky", Tom Lehrer wrote: "I will never forget the day I met the great Lobachevsky. In one word he told me the secret of success in mathematics: plagiarize!" Les Cheatham has been accused of plagiarizing himself.

Word History: Today's Good Word was created in the early 17th century by combining plagiary + -ize. Plagiary is a modification of Latin plagiarius "kidnapper", the noun for plagiare "to kidnap", a verb derived from the noun plaga "(hunting) net". Plaga seems to have come from PIE plag- "flat, flatten", traces of which we find in Greek plax, plakos "flat, plain" and pelagos "open sea", Latvian plakans "flat", Russian ploskii "flat", Polish płaski "flat", Czech plocha "surface, flat area", and Dutch vlak "flat". (Now a gracious nod to our old friend Philadelphian Jackie Strauss for spotting today's semantically traveling Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Plagiarize

Postby Slava » Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:22 am

For those like me who don't have a Spotify account, here's a You Tube link.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

bbeeton
Senior Lexiterian

Postby bbeeton » Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:28 pm

But Slava, I don't have to go online to listen to Lobachevsky; it was committed to memory years ago, and I have the original vinyl record. (A collector's item now, inherited from my sister, who actually attended a Tom Lehrer "concert" when he was still at Hahvahd. She corrupted me at a very young age.)

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:47 pm

I grew up with his songs playing on LP, but now have them only on CD. I still have a record player, though. I wish we had people like him nowadays. He's still alive (95), but sadly not active.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”