Chicanery

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Chicanery

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:32 pm

• chicanery •

Pronunciation: chi-kayn-êr-i • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. Quibbling, caviling, nit-picking. 2. Trickery, shiftiness, sneakiness, cheating.

Notes: Today's good noun rests on a verb, (to) chicane, which also has a personal (agent) noun, chicaner. Chicanery, of course, is what chicaners are usually up to. Although this word can mean simply to quibble, even here it exudes a sense of tricky nit-picking. The reason for this confusion is that the original sense was the caviling of lawyers in court.

In Play: Let's try to use this Good Word in both its senses with the correct connotations: "The divorce is proceeding slowly because the lawyers get involved in such chicanery, it takes forever to settle a single point." Here, again, the nit-picking is very suspicious. More recently, however, the word has become almost a synonym for trickery: "The search for a new president has raised the chicanery among top executives to almost Congressional levels."

Word History: Today's word is good and mysterious. It was surely borrowed from French chicanerie "legal wrangling and trickery", the noun from the verb chicaner. Where the French picked up this word, however, is a great puzzlement. While Chicanos are as capable of chicanery as anyone else, their name is etymologically unrelated to this Good Word; rather, it is an English pronunciation of a clipping of Spanish Mexicano "Mexican". The X in this word was once pronounced [sh].
• The Good Dr. Goodword

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Chicanery

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:47 pm

Easy to see why Congress gets nothing done: it is filled
with lawyers.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

bbeeton
Senior Lexiterian

Postby bbeeton » Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:06 pm

This past year has been occupied by "bridgework" here in Providence. Our nearest neighbor city is on the other side of a river, and the "local" bridge (the only other is an interstate) has been being replaced for almost the whole year. This work was finally finished a few weeks ago,
and the results are less than optimal, in my opinion. The approaches, on the Providence side, resemble a very narrow chicane -- I dare anyone to navigate them at more than 30 mph (although there are those who try). At least nobody's going to try to pass. On the other side (East Providence), the traffic pattern is a poorly labeled roundabout (not a "rotary"). So much for the local bridge.

The interstate, on the other hand, was found, several days before Christmas, to be about to collapse, so westbound lanes were closed, and the eastbound span was split in half so traffic can continue to pass in both directions. Reconstruction will take an unpredicted number of months. The cause of the problem is suspected to possibly be the result of chicanery on the part of the original contractors. Sigh.

Debbymoge
Lexiterian

Postby Debbymoge » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:22 pm

Barbara, really?
Chicanery on the part of large companies dealing in large contracts in politically granted jobs funded by taxpayers?
Of course that can't be true!
You'd think the taxpayers didn't vote or something...

sigh
I am but mad north-north-west. When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw.
Shakespear

Return to “Good Word Discussion”