Ratatouille

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Ratatouille

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:02 pm

• ratatouille •

Pronunciation: rah-tê-twee, rah-tê-tu-ee • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun, mass (no plural)

Meaning: A vegetable stew, originating in Nice, consisting of eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes, peppers, and onions, prepared in or with olive oil. Recipe here.

Notes: French borrowings that have not been assimilated into English usually sound beautiful to English ears. Today's Good Word, however, sounds a little facetious due to its similarity to rat-a-tat-tat, the onomatopoetic word for the sound of a machine gun. So facetious it is, in fact, that the Disney Corporation used this word as the title of its feature cartoon that attempts to extend the cuteness of Mickey Mouse to rats. (Wonder why Walt himself preferred mice?)

In Play: This word is arcane enough that the subtitle of the Disney film is a pronunciation guide for the title: Ratatouille (Rat-a-too-ee). However, the dish is delicious when properly created, so its name should be more popular: "If you aren't busy tonight, why not pop over to my place and I'll throw a little ratatouille together."

Word History: Today's Good Word is a blend of French ratouiller "to disturb, shake" and tatouiller "to stir". Tatouiller is a repetitive alteration of touiller "to stir, mix", the descendant of Latin tudiculare, a verb built up from tudicula, a machine for bruising olives. Tudicula is the diminutive of tudes "hammer", that is, "a small hammer". The same French touiller was lured into English some centuries ago to toil away as the English word toil. (Today's Good Word was suggested by Sal McGundy, a chef who could whip up a ratatouille in no time flat.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Ratatouille

Postby Slava » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:29 pm

Fun little thing, I tried to find out about tudicula, only to find out that it is the name of a kind of large sea snail. I couldn't find an explanation of how we got from bruising olives to giant sea snails.

As for the movie poster, here's a picture Image
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Re: Ratatouille

Postby David Myer » Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:44 pm

Moved by bnj's comments under Saltate and his being reminded of Saltimbocca, I note another great Italian dish, Caponata, which resembles Ratatouille in its ingredients (if not in its word origins) but with a bit of sweet/sour/spicy to pep it up. Delicious. Or as bnj might say in Tokyo, oishii.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”