Vacuity

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Vacuity

Postby Dr. Goodword » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:49 pm

• vacuity •

Pronunciation: væ-kyu-i-ti • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. Emptiness, empty space, absence of matter, a vacuum. 2. Inanity, banality, vapidity, as 'talk filled with vacuities'.

Notes: The difference between vacuity and vacuum is this: vacuum may mean either "absolute emptiness" or "reduction of air pressure below that of the atmosphere". It may also refer to a hoover, a vacuum cleaner. Vacuity refers mostly to figurative emptiness, inanity, meaninglessness. Both are nouns related to the adjective vacuous.

In Play: Even though the basic meaning of today's Good Word is "emptiness", seldom is it used to refer to physical emptiness: "Izzy Dare is an empty shell of a man whose vacuity is matched only by his banality." More often it is used to refer to abstract emptiness: "The vacuity of the new workplace policies wasn't lost on anyone."

Word History: Middle English borrowed vacuite from Old French, which inherited it from Latin vacuitas "emptiness", based on vacuus "empty". Vacuus was inherited from the PIE root wak-, an extended form of root euê- "to leave, abandon". The sound [ u] frequently changes to [w] before vowels, e.g. language and US English jaguar. The name of the letter W is "double-u", from the days when U was written V. So, euê- became wak-, which Latin spelled vac- as in vacatus "emptied", the past participle of vacare "to empty", which English borrowed in various forms for its vacate, vacant, and vacation. The Germanic languages developed it into wan- apparently, for we find it in English wane and Old Norse (Viking) vanta "to lack", which English borrowed as want "need, lack". (Thanks to Robert Jordan who recommended today's intriguing Good Word, far from a vacuous suggestion.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Vacuity

Postby Slava » Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:11 pm

As a real-life exemplar of a vacuity, we might find no one more fitting than former US Vice-President J. Danforth Quayle. My my, how he was panned back in the day. Of course, a few years after he was gone we got his president's son to pick on, too. Politicians make good targets.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Debbymoge
Lexiterian

Postby Debbymoge » Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:28 pm

A day early, Slava? Afraid of a potential vacuity?
I am but mad north-north-west. When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw.
Shakespear

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:28 pm

Nay, it's just there's a 5 coming up, so I thought to spread them out a tad.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”