Commemoration

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Commemoration

Postby Dr. Goodword » Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:05 pm

• commemoration •

Pronunciation: kê-mem-ê-ray-shên • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. Celebration or memorial of the memory of someone or something. 2. Something that celebrates the memory of someone or something.

Notes: Today's Good Word celebrates the 19 years over which alphaDictionary has produced 4000 Good Words, of which this is the 4000th. It is a noun come out of the verb, commemorate. It brings with it two adjectives, commemorative and commemoratory.

In Play: We are commemorating my work and that of Andrew Shaffer, who programmed the alphaDictionary website and its Good Word series. He created a GW editor that makes my work much easier. Luciano Eduardo de Oliveria, Jeremy Busch, Mary Jane Stoneburg, and Paul Ogden (RIP) have served diligently on the editorial board of the Good Word series. I wish we could have a party for all of them as large as the Good Word dictionary.

Word History: Today's Good Word was based on commemoratus "reminded", the past participle of Latin commemorare "to recall, remember", made up of com- "(together) with" + memorare "to remind, recount, tell". The prefix com- came from PIE k'om- "beside, by, with", the source of German ge-, a past participle prefix as in gewesen "been", and Russian s(o) "with". Memorare came from PIE (s)mer- "to remember, be mindful of", underlying Sanskrit smarati "remembers", Greek mermeros "causing worry, mischievous, baneful", Latin memor "mindful of, remembering", Serbian mariti "to care about/for", Dutch mijmeren "to muse, daydream", Breton and Cornish mar "doubt", and Breton merzout "perception".
• The Good Dr. Goodword

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Re: Commemoration

Postby David Myer » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:13 am

Well done all round. The team there has certainbly provided much joy to a lot of people, and yes, we have learned a fair bit on the journey. Thank you, team.

Debbymoge
Lexiterian

Postby Debbymoge » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:53 pm

And if I may make so bold, it is never remiss to show our gratitude by sending along-- by way of commemoration-- a bit of the folding green, in any amount, for any excuse, on any date?
Just a thought...
Debby M
I am but mad north-north-west. When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw.
Shakespear

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:58 pm

And if I may make so bold, it is never remiss to show our gratitude by sending along-- by way of commemoration-- a bit of the folding green, in any amount, for any excuse, on any date?
Just a thought...
Debby M

Blatant plug, but here goes:

They may not fold, but e-commemorations can be made via:
https://www.alphadictionary.com/donation.html

All the books are listed there, too, should you desire something solid in return. :wink:
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Debbymoge
Lexiterian

Postby Debbymoge » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:04 pm

Thank you everso, Slava!! Couldn't find that, but I'm not as astute as you in searching the site!!!!

Debby
I am but mad north-north-west. When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw.
Shakespear

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:41 pm

:!: :arrow: :idea: You can even get any or all of the books signed by the Good Doctor, if you take that route. See the extra instructions on the order page. :!:
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”