Desuetude

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Desuetude

Postby Dr. Goodword » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:00 pm

• desuetude •

Pronunciation: de-swi-tyud, di-syu-i-tyud • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun, mass (No plural)

Meaning: State of disuse, discontinuance of use implying obsoleteness.

Notes: Today's word is the noun for the seldom used adjective, desuete "out of use, not used any more". Just remember that the negative prefix in this word contains an E (des-) and not an I, as in disuse.

In Play: Desuetude is simply a lovelier surrogate for disuse: "Passenger service on US railroads has fallen into desuetude." It extends to abstract concepts, too: "Many think that civility has fallen into desuetude in the US."

Word History: Today's Good Word is a borrowing from Latin desuetudo "disuse," a word based on desuetus, the past participle of desuescere "become unaccustomed to". This word may be broken down to de "(away) from" + suescere "become used to", a word inherited from PIE swedh-sko-, from a suffixed form of root swe- "itself, oneself", the third person reflexive pronoun, referring back to whatever the subject of the sentence is. Swe- turns up in Russian as svoy "one's own" and English as self. In French and most Romance languages it is now se and in German it is sich. (Now let's thank Sue Gold, the contributor of today's Good Word, for her effort in preventing it from falling into desuetude.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Desuetude

Postby Slava » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:28 am

Well, if it weren't for the Agora and the Good Words, I often feel my feeble mind would have withered away in desuetude long ago. Or would that be 'from desuetude'?

Desuetude is also a legalese term meaning that a law has been ignored and unenforced for so long that it has become invalid and is no longer enforceable. A type of blue law, without the religious grounding.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”