rotisserie

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
KatyBr
Wordmaster

rotisserie

Postby KatyBr » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:26 pm

[quote]ro·tis·se·rie (r-ts-r)
n.
1. A cooking device equipped with a rotating spit on which meat or other food is roasted.
2. A shop or restaurant where meats are roasted to order.

this image just happens to come from our local grocery store, I googled rotisserie. (their chickens are pretty small tho')

[French rôtisserie, from Old French rostisserie, from rostir, to roast, of Germanic origin.]

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

ThesaurusLegend: Synonyms Related Words AntonymsNoun 1. rotisserie - an oven or broiler equipped with a rotating spit on which meat cooks as it turns
oven - kitchen appliance used for baking or roasting
usage
I've got a fine chicken on the rotisserie tonight
[editorial comment]
I got the idea for this word after I got the poor chicken through no fault of it's own, skewered and roasting slowly, hmmmm that's happened to me too.
'course I was live and hollering at the time.
[/editorial comment]

Kt

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: rotisserie

Postby Slava » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:24 pm

2. A shop or restaurant where meats are roasted to order.
A Chinese classmate of mine told that the average Chinese doesn't have an oven, microwave, yes, but not a real one. They get their meat cooked, as many of us Americans now get our chickens at the larger grocery stores. Other than chickens, though, do we here have rotisseries in this sense?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”