pariah

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
passionandparadox
Junior Lexiterian

pariah

Postby passionandparadox » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:35 pm

I'm guessing everyone knows this word -- normally used in the nearly idomatic phrase "social pariah", but I just found out it has a great etymology:
The word pariah, which can be used for anyone who is a social outcast, independent of social position, recalls a much more rigid social system, which made only certain people pariahs. The caste system of India placed pariahs, also known as Untouchables, very low in society. The word pariah, which we have extended in meaning, came into English from Tamil paaiyar, the plural of paaiyan, the caste name, which literally means “(hereditary) drummer” and comes from the word paai, the name of a drum used at certain festivals. The word is first recorded in English in 1613. Its use in English and its extension in meaning probably owe much to the long period of British rule in India.
from dictionary.com

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:14 pm

See the Doc's write-up here: http://www.alphadictionary.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1213

I bet we haven't seen too many words from Tamil here.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”